Electric Kick drum

wiseoldman

• Members

I play mainly acoustic gigs and have been thinking off addin some percussion. I've noticed that a few acoustic acts around have just a kick drum of some sort, and it adds quite a new dimension to the overall sound. I've heard some miced acoustics and some electrics, but haven't seen any up close. I know next to nothing about percussion or drums and just wandered if somebody could give me a starting point at what to look at.

I was thinking of just getting an electric kick device of some sort.

• Members

I play mainly acoustic gigs and have been thinking off addin some percussion. I've noticed that a few acoustic acts around have just a kick drum of some sort, and it adds quite a new dimension to the overall sound. I've heard some miced acoustics and some electrics, but haven't seen any up close. I know next to nothing about percussion or drums and just wandered if somebody could give me a starting point at what to look at.

I was thinking of just getting an electric kick device of some sort.

May I suggest sending a message to John Flynn...one of our members here on the forum. he's heavily into the electroncis thing...maybe he can give you some tips on what to look out for, what to get and what not to get...couldn't hoit!:thu:

• Members

Check out the Pintech K3 ErgoKik. I have them on my site
they are a little bar trigger that come with an inverted bass beater they MAP at $50 with a cable. You simply clamp them to a bass pedal and you can have any additional sound that you like! They are very compact and extremely durable!brian@hopedrums.com

I've been using one of these for less than three months and I'm already having problems with it. If I play too hard it won't trigger at all, so I've got to literally tap the thing. Over the course of a few songs if I use the wooden beater, the 1/4" jack will come out, since it's on the side opposite the end being beat on (would have been significantly better if they'd put the jack on the side, IMO). A double bass pedal will fit on them, but I have trouble triggering sometimes using one -- I guess the sensor is right in the center, so if you're using two off-center beaters on it, sometimes it picks up and sometimes it doesn't.

I went out and bought felt beaters to use with it, but it seems they don't hit it hard enough since they triggered even worse.

I've played around with my DM5's velocity curve so much I don't think it's that... gonna try hooking it up to another module next time I head out to GC and make sure I'm not just doing something wrong. The input jack thing really sucks though and does it no matter what cable I use.

• Members

Personally, I don't like the inverted beater type pads. They tend to have triggering issiues. You could check out the kick pad from the Yamaha DTXpress II or III kits. You can buy the kick pad seperate (not sure how much). It's a hard rubber pad, so it might make your foot feel a little sore from kicking it over long periods of time. They do trigger very well though ...

dtxpressIII_stock.jpg

The kick pad from my Hart kit feels really good (just like an accoustic bass drum). It's a lot more money (not sure, but I'd guess in the 2 hundred dollar range). It triggers perfectly ...

studio1.jpg

Both will accomodate a double bass pedal.

The other thing to look at is what you're using for a module. They are not all created equally. Some just trigger better than others. But in all cases, there should be enough adjustments to solve a "weak" or "double" triggering problem.

edit - you could also use an accoustic trigger on your existing bass drum. That might be the cheapest option, although you still need a module to "activate" the sound. I've never used accoustic triggers, but from what I've heard, they tend to work well.

• Members

I've been using one of these for less than three months and I'm already having problems with it.

You know it has a lifetime warranty! I'd give them a call 800-445-0506 and take advantage of it! Actually out of the 100's that I have sold through the years, I have never heard any problems with them! Chris Adler is using one live with his Mapex kit on the road and it is holding up well! As with anything thought, sometimes you get bad ones!

Archived