Need some help deciding on a snare....

IggyBot

• Members

I've saved up enough money (not hard, since all I spend my money on is drum stuff) and I'm ready to buy a second snare for my kit. I've come down to 2 options. Pearls Chad Smith Signature Snare, or Pearls B-1330 Brass Piccolo Snare. I absolutly LOVE the sound and look of both snares. The Chad Smith signature has the sound response and just great overall sound that I really like, but the piccolo has that crack that just cuts through the music (that and I love piccolos in general, but especially this one)

Whichever I purchase will most likely become my main snare. I really can't decide though, any feedback from owners of these drums would be greatly appreciated.

And please don't say "Buy whatever sounds better" because I love the sound of both snares, which is why I'm posting this topic.

• Members

Let fate decide and flip a coin. I just wanted to say that I've been so happy with my Pearl maple 4"x14" for the past 3 years. Actually, Pearl everything. They really make great products, especially hardware. Come to think of it, I really can't think of one thing I could ever say negative about the company.

• Members

Everyones different. Here's my perspective. I bought a Premier brass piccolo in the 80's to go with my Resonator kit and like you, I liked the high crack that a piccolo provides. That crack gets real old quickly, all night long. The other members of the band will probably shoot you after 3 gigs. It might be a good choice for an auxiliary snare, but not a main snare. Currently, my piccolo sits in my closet gaining dust waiting for the next musical trend to come by along with my leisure suit. I would choose the Chad Smith snare for your main snare.

Or if you're hellbent on a piccolo. Find some drummers between 40-50. There are probably a ton of them out there in their closets or attics.

Archived