Help!: How do import/export CDs work (if you're only signed in your own country)?!..

Dance123

• Members

Hi,

If I sign a deal with a label in Belgium, and my music is only released in Belgium, isn't it so that if somebody in the US for example wants to buy my CD, he can ask his local retail store to get it via import? How does that work, like can all music be exported/imported if it's not released in that country or are there certain rules, laws, restrictions?!

Also, if later on your music would also be released in another country, is it still legal for your label in Belgium to export music to that country or not?

What I also really would like to know: if somebody in the UK buys my CD in a UK store that gets it via import, to which chart is that sale being added. Will it be added to the official sales chart in Belgium or will it be added to the sales charts in the UK, or will it be added to both sales charts?!

Anybody could please explain all this?! I would really appreciate it!Thanks!

• Members

I am signed to a label in Germany, however in my case they have global distribution so it gets everywhere.

If your Belgium label only sells in Belgium as a general rule, people/record stores/distributors can buy from the label. However as an import the price will be drastically increased since the buyer usually has to pay postage on top of the purchase price.

It is perfectly legal for your label to sell your product anywhere you allow them to. They won't be asking your permission it will be a clause in your contract up front - usually. Usually both the band and the label would want to sell product anywhere and everywhere they can.

As to which chart it would go on I can only make an educated guess. I think it would go on the selling country's chart. Sold in England on the England charts, sold in Australia - on the Australian charts, etc.

Archived