What the heck is up with Modern Drummer?

hwy145

• Members

The date on the magazine, in this case Jan 08 is the date the the venders/distributers use to pull the issues off the shelves. If you have ever seen magazines with their covers removed, that's what they do when they are on the self after the date on the issue.

Who's on the cover? Is it the Roach tribute issue? I just got that one, but haven't looked to see what the date of it is.

James

• Members

Modern Drummer's story is that they print them here in the US. They then mail those out to US folks. Then they start distributing to other countries and stuff which takes longer due to shipping and customs etc. By the time everyone gets theirs, it's the month that it's dated. So, in the lower Congo when they get theirs, they're not behind. If this months was November 2007, by the time it got to the lower Congo, it'd be January 2008. These drummers would think they're reading old stuff, which they are, but at least if feels new. That's their story anyway. They printed that in there a few months back.

Back in the 70s I used to take Downbeat magazine. It was the same way. Go figure.

• Members

In publication printing, it's not uncommon to have a 2 to 3 month advance on articles. The whole publication has been put together and just sits waiting for anything dated...by that I mean anything that's time sensitive pr has a cutoff date. Lots of stories are already composed way prior to final publication. That's how they can make intricate schedule dealines in delivery and promotions. (I worked in commercial printing for 14 years before this new job in marketing and education)

You have many many people working on a publication at one time. MD is pretty easy to do...it's a monthly. You ought to see the dealines for the weekly's...it's crazy how it all comes together...

• Members

The date on the magazine, in this case Jan 08 is the date the the venders/distributers use to pull the issues off the shelves. If you have ever seen magazines with their covers removed, that's what they do when they are on the self after the date on the issue.

Who's on the cover? Is it the Roach tribute issue? I just got that one, but haven't looked to see what the date of it is.

James

No, this is the issue with Jo Jo Mayer.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived