Cymbal Refinishing

Drumstix61

• Members

Drummers :wave:,

I have mostly Sabian's.

What kind you ask?

all....I love me some cymbals..what kind don't I have..

(B8pro/ AA/ AAX /HH)...plus a 21" Megabell Zildian ride and a 20 year old Paiste 2002 18" crash.

Some have "lacquer" finish some don't.

ALL have fingerprints.:mad:

I want to take them back down to bare metal and seal all of them with lacquer.

What type of lacquer to use when I seal them?

please do not tell me "use ducktape"................ :cop:

• Members

I'm by no means an expert on cymbal "re-finishing", but unless you have pretty much the same process and coating that Sabian uses, I wouldn't recommend doing it. I may be full of sh*t, and someone on here has your answer, but I do know a considerable amount about coatings and sealers such as lacquer. Some metals don't take coatings all that well, unless you've prepped them a certain way, be it chemical or mechanical. I'd be really cautious doing either unless I knew the exact steps to prep the metal- that would be key I would think, or your finish won't take the pounding and it will chip off. Just my opinion.

• Members

Don't lacquer or re-lacquer your cymbals. It will surely affect the sound. In my other life as a trombone player I have always removed the lacquer from the bells of my horns because they sound better without it. That lacquer is super-thin, and you're not likely to apply your own better than that.

• Members

There is a cymbal cleaner called "Groove Juice" but you can go to about any store & get a product called "Kaboom". It is a bathroom -kitchen cleaner that has the same ingredeants & costs much less. DO NOT USE ON B-8 CYMBALS!!!!! It will stain the B-8 metal, not enough tin in them.

After cleaning with this product rinse the cymbal well & then polish with car wax to protect the cleaned bronze. I only use the Kaboom on really dirty cymbals. I like to keep my cymbals clean & wipe them off after I play & about every two months or so polish with car wax.

Dave Huffman

Archived