Mostly Double Bass Drum Pedal Questions

junkdrum

• Members

My first question is about sticks. Can some one recommend a good place to order Vater sticks by the brick?

My big questions are about double bass drum pedals and techniques. I'm currently practicing double bass on an Axis pedal. I'm trying to work up a double stroke roll by pressing the footboard down low with my toes and holding it down, letting the pedal do the work on the second stroke. I've gotton fairly proficient at using this technique with two separate pedals, but with a double pedal the slave does not respond well enough to accomplish a double stroke.

Does anyone have any suggestions on ways to get the action on a slave pedal closer to the master? Are there any double pedals out there with less variance in feel between master and slave?

My Axis is the model with a shorter footboard. What are the advantages and dissadvantages to having a longer footboard?

Are there any better techniques out there for fast doubles?

What are your opinions on spring tension, throw, etc? The springs on my Axis are heavier than I've normally used. I've been a heel-down guy for years and the heel-up thing is still pretty new. I've noticed that while playing into the head works ok with 2 bass drums it sounds like caca on a single drum. Do you double bass pedal players prefer to sink the beater or let it rebound?

• Members

If you are trying to roll, it may be more of an issue of your head than your pedals. From what I hear, it doesnt get much tigher on the slave pedal than the Axis.

I tend to sink the beaters (for better or worse) with two kicks or one. When I pay attention, and know that I need to produce a more open beat, I will let the pedals rebound. Its a reverb issue, and I have yet to hear it become the tonal issue so many people gripe about. I get plenty of tone and thump either way, just not as much reverb, which I dont like on most bass work anyway.

• Members

I can definately get more power out of sinking the beaters, but if one of my beaters is in the head when the other one hits it sounds just awful. Playing at faster speeds this is a moot point because you have to get that beater back up there for the nest stroke.

I guess the lagging feel on my slave pedal is something I'll have to get used to. Playing a double pedal is great fun. I grew up listening to Ginger Baker and thinking that I could never possibly do what he did with two feet. Now I'm finding that it just takes a little time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

hi, here is another double drum question along the same lines. I play mostly with my heel down and find that this technique does not work with my double bass pedals. Would it work easier if I moved my drum seat up to sit higher or lower?

I see some guys who sit low and their knees are at the top of their snares and then other guy who sit high like the legs are almost dangling. I have tried both, with limited results (hence this post) so I want to see what other guys have tried and stuck with to eventually see good results.

thanks.

Archived