Help! I'm a guitarist and I need to buy IEM's for my drummer...

Palaver-Paul

• Members

My band has saved up some cash from recent shows, and we want to get started on using in ear monitors at future gigs. I have been given the task of purchasing this and I am not entirely sure on what is needed for a drummer to use IEM's. So here are my inquiries for you drummers...

Is it just the ear buds and a headphone amplifier? I know the soundboard has to plug into some device before it goes to the ear buds, but I don't know what that is.

Are custom ear pieces absolutley necessary? I was looking at Shure SCL2's and they are in my price range.

Is it annoying for a drummer to have a wired IEM setup?

My budget for this is $300 CDN/USD. Any help would be greatly appreciated

• Members

hey Paul,:wave:

I've been using An IEM made by Shure for the last several months, and have really enjoyed using them. I'm not sure of the model number, but I bought them from muscians friend for about 300 bucks. The body pack is what Shure calls a hybrid receiver, as it can be wired, wireless or both. I currently use it in the wired configuration, and have no issues with it using it in this way. Being a drummer, and pretty much stuck in the same spot all night, the wires don't bother me a bit. If the rest of the band decides to go in ear, all you have to do is add the transmitter,(another $300) and the body pack for each member. Hope that helps.

• Members

Do you have a little mixer on the floor next to you when you play? I went to my local music store and the salesman told me that an easy fix for IEM for a drummer would be to get the earphones and a Behringer headphone mixer and put it on the floor next to the drum throne. He didnt mention anything about a bodypack. I was under the assumption that I just plug the ear phones into the mixer, and then into the soundboard.

• Members

No, I plug right into the monitor send jack on the main board. We are a small group and tend to play small clubs, so our sound board is on stage with us. The body back acts as the amplifier for the ear buds. the sound board has individual level controls for each channel for the monitor output, so the keyboard player can adjust the level of each instrument and vocal in the monitor mix.

• Members

I have used the UE (Ultimate Ears monitors) for a while, they are great, basically exactly like the Shure models only about 25-40% less expensive. I use the model that is like the E3s, which only cost me about $100 at Guitar Center. I would aim for the next model up that has dual drivers. There is supposed to be one that is just like the E5s from Shure, but only cost about $175-200.

• Members

I have used the UE (Ultimate Ears monitors) for a while, they are great, basically exactly like the Shure models only about 25-40% less expensive. I use the model that is like the E3s, which only cost me about $100 at Guitar Center. I would aim for the next model up that has dual drivers. There is supposed to be one that is just like the E5s from Shure, but only cost about $175-200.

Thanks for the alternative.

• Members

No, I plug right into the monitor send jack on the main board. We are a small group and tend to play small clubs, so our sound board is on stage with us. The body back acts as the amplifier for the ear buds. the sound board has individual level controls for each channel for the monitor output, so the keyboard player can adjust the level of each instrument and vocal in the monitor mix.

We use the house soundboard/guy and its usually a fair distance from the stage. Would we unplug the cable that goes from the board to the monitor...and then plug that cable into our earphone amplifier/mixer?

• Members

that is true. if he does not wail away at loud volumes, in ear should work fine. Thare is nothing better that jamming with monitors, it lets you respect the talent of the band so much more.

I dont get that Mondo. I suppose its just preference. In ears are simply far better in any situation than live monitors to me. Each person can taylor the volume to themselves, and when running through compressors, you dont have to worry about that idiot guitarist's solo killing your ears when they turn up. Speaker monitors are a thing of the past, and just end up making you go deaf. In-ears are the best things I have been able to play with, especially in high volume metal and rock.

• Members

I dont get that Mondo. I suppose its just preference. In ears are simply far better in any situation than live monitors to me. Each person can taylor the volume to themselves, and when running through compressors, you dont have to worry about that idiot guitarist's solo killing your ears when they turn up. Speaker monitors are a thing of the past, and just end up making you go deaf. In-ears are the best things I have been able to play with, especially in high volume metal and rock.

This is going to sound funny but I agree Merlin. Last time I played in a band situation it was in the days of the speaker monitors and I played rythme guitar. It seemed like I was always being driven crazy by the sound levels coming out. I always like to hear the bass and I was always fighting because we'd either here the lead guitar too freaking loud or the dreaded keyboards when we had them. It drove me nuts. I'd much prefer to be able to taylor my own volume.

• Members

The one thing you want to make sure is that the earbuds don't fall out too easy. I had trouble with the ones I used for a bit kept falling out so I just got fed up with it. But I would love to have in ear instead of floor monitors. I could hear everything so much better and it saves my hearing.

• Members

Do you have a little mixer on the floor next to you when you play? I went to my local music store and the salesman told me that an easy fix for IEM for a drummer would be to get the earphones and a Behringer headphone mixer and put it on the floor next to the drum throne. He didnt mention anything about a bodypack. I was under the assumption that I just plug the ear phones into the mixer, and then into the soundboard.

One thing you need to be concerned about if you go this route is that most IEM systems (even the low budget Nady and Carvin ones) have a built-in limiter. If your setup doesn't have this feature it can lead to some major hearing damage. The monitors are about an inch away from your ear drum. and any feedback that is present goes directly there.

Archived