24" vs 22" kick drums

siberian

• Members

I've been contemplating the idea of trying a 24" kick. I've traditionally used 18x22 but for my next kit I have been thinking about possibly going a size up to 24, primarily with the assumption that I'd get a significantly deeper tone and more bottom end from it. The secondary, and much less important reason, is for the visual effect of a larger kick drum as well.

Now I need to place a disclaimer here... before anybody says anything, I emphasize that the visual effect is of VERY MINOR importance, so please nobody preach about function over form. I get that... so you'd be preaching to the choir.:thu:

Anyway, I've not yet gone and auditioned any in person yet... but in the mean time, I was just wondering if anybody has made the same switch and if so, what were your impressions?

I know that I can get a deep bottom end punch from my 18x22 with the right heads and tuning, but I was just curious if there was a significant difference with 24". I'd probably be looking at 18x24.

For the record, I play mostly hard rock/progressive music, with an occasional pop-rock style recording project here and there. I play a lot of double bass patterns, but not 80,000 BPM stuff where it would sound too muddy with a large kick drum.

• Members

I personally think that you're not going to find a huge difference between a 22 and a 24. You can cover most of the same range. If you were talking a 20 vs a 24 I'd have a different opinion. If it's between a 22 and a 24 I say find the kit you like and whichever it has is your choice.

• Members

There is a small difference... you gain a *little* low end, lose *a little* of the punch.

26x16 OTOH
;)

I went the other way, from a 24" to a 20". The 24 didn't give me anymore punch or volume. Maybe a little more low end, I don't know, becuase I like to tune it up a little higher than most people.

The BIG drawback of the 24" for me was that once you get the toms mounted on there, they're real high. Since they're so high up, the cymbals gotta be even higher. If you're tall and got long arms I guess it's OK, but for me it just made positioning and kit comfort harder to deal with.

Best of luck.

• Members

I went the other way, from a 24" to a 20". The 24 didn't give me anymore punch or volume. Maybe a little more low end, I don't know, becuase I like to tune it up a little higher than most people.

The BIG drawback of the 24" for me was that once you get the toms mounted on there, they're real high. Since they're so high up, the cymbals gotta be even higher. If you're tall and got long arms I guess it's OK, but for me it just made positioning and kit comfort harder to deal with.

Best of luck.

Yep, just as I stated.

My 24x18" Tempus kick definately had less immediacy to the punch than my 22, especially less than my 20x18. It had percieved low end, because it was a very resonant shell. But I have heard 22x16" with low end when done up right. My 20x18" can sound very fat!

Toms that are 4' in the air are a PITA.

When I build my 26" kick, it will be tom-on-a-snare to the side to avoid that.

• Members

I have a 26x16 kick and am about to pick up a new kit with a 24x16. The 26 has a character all it's own, it's softer in a way. The beater feels just a little pillowy, you will get more sheer volume for sure, especially if you tune the reso head loosely. I don't muffle my bass in any way, it's pretty thunderous. The 22 I have has an overall better sound, better for recording, but on stage I love the 26. I imagine a 24 being a good blend of the two, louder but tighter.

• Members

There is a small difference... you gain a *little* low end, lose *a little* of the punch.

26x16 OTOH
;)

LOL, yea I don't think a 26 work for me. I'm not in an emo band so I wouldn't have much use for a gigantic bozo's circus kick drum with a single 12" tom mounted on a snare stand off to the left and way too far out of reach to be practical. :thu: Besides, all the cool kids are doing that nowadays and I'm just not that cool.

• Members

Anyone that tells you that a 24" kick won't be much different than a 22" either hasn't really tried it, or hasn't tried it for a long enough period of time to gauge a true opinion. I have a 22" and a 24" Pro M Mapex Kick in the basement, and the difference is quite significant. I disagree that response is slower, and I disagree that there is not a significant difference in depth. I spent about a week with foot/ leg fatigue from playing the bigger drum, but I quickly became used to it. Once again, people could be quick to judge, because they don't spend the time building up the stamina/ muscle to play a bigger drum.

My 24" is HUGE sounding. The 22" is nice, and it would fit quite nicely in almost every musical situation. The 24" is a matter of choice, and I prefer it much more. I am not a fan of the baby-sized drums that are sweeping the nation either. I have a large kit, and the large bass drum compliments the large toms.

Yes, I'm biased!!!:blah:

• Members

I played a 24" for years, then about five years ago started playing 20s and 22s. Well I just purchased a new SC Perf. and it has a 18x24 and all I can say is wow! Change heads get new drums whatever you want but nothing can take the place of bigger drums. You do lose some puch with a 24 but the bottom line is the 24 just has more balls, its deeper,more bottom end and a little louder than my 22's.

• Members

Actually I never thought about the change in kick pedal response because I'd have to adjust the beater length to get it centered on the head. This could greatly effect pedal feel.

Also, I was thinking, what if I stuck with 22, but instead of 18x22, trying a 20x22. I wonder what effect that would have.

• Members

I have a Ludwig 16x24 6 ply and I have to say, I just swapped out the heads for something completely different than I have been using and I LOVE IT ALL OVER AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a Sonor Phonic 22" and yes It has a little more punch, but not that much more, its more a matter of how its tuned and muffled(YUCK). I have my 24" wide open, the only muffling is a small felt strip and a remo powerstroke 3 on the resonant side. (A clear emperor on the batter.)

This drum has volume, depth, tone, punch, and character up the ying yang.

I just cant believe I used such wrong heads for this drum for so long.(single ply ludwig heads - I got 4 new heads that were given to me when I bought the drum) I was seriously considering selling it at one time, because I couldn't get the sound I thought I should be able to get out of it. Then it all changed with the new heads.

ANYHOW, if you want the 24", go and get one, you will love it dearly

(P.S. I also like how it looks in front of me. And if you use a traditional set up like me with 1 tom up on a snare stand and 2 floors, height wont be an issue.) My current drum sizes are too big for a 22". 12x15 small tom, 16x16, 16x18, 16x24, 18x20 to the left of my Hi-hat.(coffee table now, but still looks good)

• Members

Ploughman, I want your 20" bass set! What a cozy little buddy. About the 24s I've played they all sounded huge. Great rock sound but for me my 22x16 is so deep that I actually prefer my 18x16 for definition. I really want a 20x16, perfect for me and I prefer the beater slightly above center.

Archived