Keith Moon and Nick Mason: Double Bass

Longshanks

• Members

I can't remember where i saw it, but i think it was on the Pulse dvd (may have been an .avi of Pink Floyd at live aid concert though... i have both and can't remember which one i saw it in), and i recall Nick Mason using double bass towards the end of comfortably numb (i think.... could of been another song though. Curse my terrible memory!!). Either way, he didn't use it much, it was basically just for the ending of 1 song. He may have used it in other places but i didn't notice.

• Members

At one time...that was the big look...ooooo if you had 2 kicks... Moon did use his on occasion...I don't know about Mason...

There is no pain, you are receding.

duggida-duggida-duggida....

A distant ships smoke on the horizon.

oombly-oombly-oombly..

You are only coming through in waves.

Incidentally, in a couple weeks, I am watching a live PF tribute band "The Pink Floyd experiance"

• Members

There is no pain, you are receding.

A distant ships smoke on the horizon.

oombly-oombly-oombly..

You are only coming through in waves.

Incidentally, in a couple weeks, I am watching a live PF tribute band "The Pink Floyd experiance"

i've heard of the pink floyd experience, but i've never seen them. tell me how it goes. i have seen australian pink floyd and they were great, and i just got tickets to see roger waters :)

• Members

i've heard of the pink floyd experience, but i've never seen them. tell me how it goes. i have seen australian pink floyd and they were great, and i just got tickets to see roger waters
:)

I saw Roger Waters here in Australia last year, and it was so incredibly awesome. Probably the closest one could get to seeing Pink Floyd without actually seeing them (although i haven't seen David Gilmour in concert, much to my dismay). He played the entire Dark Side of the Moon, plus lots of other Pink Floyd and Solo stuff, and the production value was just excellent, and the 3D surround sound was by far the best sound i've ever experienced at a concert.

• Members

...because simple-minded people think that having 2 bass drums means you're a "better" drummer. :rolleyes: I'm sure Nick Mason used it mainly for appearances sake.

Keith Moon used to like to say he was the first rock drummer to have a double-bass kit, until he found out that Ginger Baker was doing it before him.

There are tons of great & influential drummers that use single bass/single pedal.

• Members

What Keith and Nick did were copied by too many drummers in the 70's and 80's. It was pretty sad when I see a drummer like Bonham, Graham Lear, Gadd and a host of others with 4-6pc kits use *everything* and a lot of those guys with double kicks and multi-tom setups that were just for show.

Almost every time I saw a band in the 70's with a big kit, you had an anticipation that the drummer would kick ass. Sadly, it rarely happened.

Remember Kool and the gang? Was there *any* tune they ever played that needed a huge, double kick kit? No way.

• Members

What Keith and Nick did were copied by too many drummers in the 70's and 80's. It was pretty sad when I see a drummer like Bonham, Graham Lear, Gadd and a host of others with 4-6pc kits use *everything* and a lot of those guys with double kicks and multi-tom setups that were just for show.

Almost every time I saw a band in the 70's with a big kit, you had an anticipation that the drummer would kick ass. Sadly, it rarely happened.

Remember Kool and the gang? Was there *any* tune they ever played that needed a huge, double kick kit? No way.

That's another reason of love Mike Portnoy who has so much stuff, BUT ACTUALLY USES ALL OF IT. (not during the same song of course, that would be tough)

• Members

I am trying to think of the biggest kit with the least amount of use. Peter Criss? He had like 26 drums... and on a few tunes (like 100,000 years) he actually did a simple descending fill that used some of them...

Most of the hair band stuff lead in with a big sounding kick drum, and maybe 2-3 toms...almost never anything more.

• Members

That's another reason of love Mike Portnoy who has so much stuff, BUT ACTUALLY USES ALL OF IT. (not during the same song of course, that would be tough)

Sure! Mike rocks...

The "Big kit" players that used them:

Mike Portnoy, Neil Peart, Nicko McBrain, Billy Cobham, and...umm...well...damn few others...

Remember Alex Van Halens big ass kit? He plays the same music now, and uses what boils down to a 6 pc kit.

Archived