Anyone insure their gear?

Sytubs

• Members

I have to imagine a lot of you gigging road warriors face challenges like potential theft, road wear or accidental damage like fires, fights etc.

Do any of you carry some form of insurance for your beloved musical gear?

• Members

We have a rider on our homeowner's policy that covers the violin, two trombones, two drumsets and various other stuff.

It will vary from state to state and company to company as to what the regulations are. For instance, in my state your instruments are covered by your homeowners' policy if they stay in the house, but you need the rider if you take them out.

Save receipts, take pictures, and get coverage. It's really a nominal cost. I have actually insured my trombones for replacement value, not what they will fetch used. Trombones depreciate wildly as soon as you go out the door, but the cost of new ones keeps going up. Even that didn't add much to the cost.

Such policies are available to renters as well.

• Members

The only place that would insure my drums here wanted professional appraisals. It isn't possible from long distance, so I had quotes from current sales on Ebay and gave them pictures etc. They are insured for 15K at replacement value. This is only for home insurance. I have to make arrangements with them before taking them out to get coverage.

I made it an even 35,000 for my garage and contents (drums, some tools, etc).

• Members

Both drumkits are insured for replacement. The mobile recording gear is also insured. Not as riders to a home or auto policy. But each under thier own policy. And since both are used for biz. Well its a bit pricey. But going this route saves having to explain why I am insuring work stuff under a homeowners policy. Things change when its a biz.

Mike

Archived