Aquarian Studio X heads duability issue

HBdrummer

• Members

I have come to the conclusion..that I should stop buying heads on a whim!

I removed the EC2s from my Pearl birch kit and thought I would try something alittle different...I went with Studio X heads on my toms, Hi energy snare and an IMPACTII kick head. The only decent sounding head is the Hi energy snare!

The kick batter sounds like a bag a poo no matter how I tune it. I have dented the flip out of the Studio X batters...I want my 2 ply EC2s back.

I hit kinda hard depending on the songs dynamics...But 3 gigs and these heads are that zitted up?? For what they want for these heads>>.. I'll slap the EVANS back on. Obviously not suited for my playing style!

• Members

Different strokes for different folks. The clear Aquarian Studio-X are my favorite heads for toms on both my Tempus Carbon Fiber and my Acrylic kit.

I've never had a durability issue with them.

I used to have a Tempus CF kit. I sold it because I hate the guy that makes them. But it was a great kit. Any pics of your acrylic? I am considering building an RCI prog kit.

I like aquarian studio-x, and the only time I dented them was poor technique at an acute angle.

• Members

Here is a pic of my acrylic kit. I got the shells from Gold-n-Times, the lugs

are ego centric and I got all the hardware from Andy at drummaker.com

I didn't trust my layout or drilling skills so I sent the shells to Andy and had

them do the layout and drilling. I just assembled them together.

I'd like to sell this kit eventually so I could do another DIY acrylic project.

• Members

Here is a pic of my acrylic kit. I got the shells from Gold-n-Times, the lugs

are ego centric and I got all the hardware from Andy at drummaker.com

I didn't trust my layout or drilling skills so I sent the shells to Andy and had

them do the layout and drilling. I just assembled them together.

I'd like to sell this kit eventually so I could do another DIY acrylic project.

I have seen that kit! Beautiful job!

I am likely to go through drummaker or precision drum in NY. I am going to be conservative with this kit. IE: Clear acrylic, and small lugs for maximum resonance.

IE like this:

item-1a.jpg

I want a single 22x18" kick, and 8/10/12/14/16 Toms.

6x6 and 6x20 octabans.

• Members

Cool lug. If I had it to do over I would have went with a cheaper lug.

I think at the time the Ego Centrics were $4.50 each - I ended up with

close to $400 in lugs alone.

The Ego-centric lugs are cool - small and only one post but it makes trying

to sell the kit a pain because I used all high quality/high dollar hardware so I

ended up with more in the kit than I originally intended.

• Members

Cool lug. If I had it to do over I would have went with a cheaper lug.

I think at the time the Ego Centrics were $4.50 each - I ended up with

close to $400 in lugs alone.

The Ego-centric lugs are cool - small and only one post but it makes trying

to sell the kit a pain because I used all high quality/high dollar hardware so I

ended up with more in the kit than I originally intended.

Yeah, egos are awesome...but *painfully* expensive. The cost really creeps up on you if you are making a larger kit. I'd go with the round egos, but for the cost reason...not unless I win a lottery.

Incidentally, I am considering pinstripes or studio-x for the acrylic kit, there is no way that I want cs dots.

• Members

Sorry to have got off topic.

Besides the Studio-X being my favorite tom head and the Super Kick I being

my favorite kick drum head - I just wanted to state that Roy Burns is a class act.

If you have ever contacted Aquarian you know that most times you end up

talking with Roy himself. He takes great pride in customer service.

I worked for a local music store a few years back and had the opportunity to talk with Roy on a few occasions. When I first started at the music store within a few days I received a call from Roy. He had heard that I was a new hire and that I used Aquarian heads. He called to chat and ask me what my personal favorites were, which ones I disliked and we talked drums, etc for close to half an hour just like we were old friends.

A few days later I get a package in the mail. It was from Roy - he had sent me a full set of my favorite heads including resonant heads and a few heads to try out that I hadn't used before.

I'm not blindly loyal. I still prefer a Remo Ambassador or Evans Power Center for my snares, but for my toms and my kick it is Studio-X and Super Kick I.

• Members

I just priced a kit (parts, layout drilling) for an RCI acrylic via drummaker.com.

6,8,10,12,14,16 toms and 22x18 kick

About $1800 plus shipping. If I do this, I'll add an 18x16" floor tom as well.

Back to topic: Roy Burns is a pure gentleman. A total class act!

• Members
:freak::confused::bor:....the Studio Xs sounded okay on my birch kit..I think they may be better suited for a different genre perhaps..jazz maybe? They sounded okay..just pocked up quickly! I am still using the Hi energy snare head..Great head btw! I have bagged the Impact II and the Studio Xs in favor of EC2s and an EMAD kick:thu:

• Members

The clear Aquarian Studio-X fits well on my X7 Kit but I would only use them in the recording studio....they are great for that and the style I play...for live I like the DW heads...I do use Evans G1's for the reso heads and if I can't get those I by remo's...single ply heads all of them...if you hit real hard you need 2 ply heads, its just that simple.

• Members

:freak::confused::bor:
....the Studio Xs sounded okay on my birch kit..I think they may be better suited for a different genre perhaps..jazz maybe? They sounded okay..just pocked up quickly! I am still using the Hi energy snare head..Great head btw! I have bagged the Impact II and the Studio Xs in favor of EC2s and an EMAD kick:thu:

My studio-x did sound pretty good in a number of ways. They were warm, punchy and so on. They work a bit better, IMO on wood like birch and oak that tend to be brighter to begin with.

All in all, they did reduce my effort and damp too much. They were great for a studio/80's sound, but other drumheads gave me the depth I am after without being as thuddy.

I can't imagine most jazzers liking them, as they (mostly) prefer g1 coated or clear for an open sound.

Archived