Roller cart/dolly

tadams

• Members

Looks like a quality product, but I've had plenty of success with a rusty old upright hardcart nicked from my mate's front garden, and everything we've got that wouldn't fit on it has casters anyway so I don't need something that'll fold down. Not that I use any sort of cart for gigs anyway, since transport space is usually at a premium.

So yeah it looks good, but unless you've ever thought to yourself "I really wish I had some kind of amp trolley right now", I think $160 is a bit steep.

• Members

Does anyone use anything like this Roller cart/dolly for loading equipment?

I'm thinking about getting one for those gigs where the stage is quite a distance from the load-in.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Rock-n-Roller-R8-Mid-Cart?sku=699005

Yes, I own one exactly like that and love it...

You can stretch it out super long...and pile stuff on...

Back inflatable tires are nice too for going over curbs..

:thu:

• Members

I use this:

3145LaAy%2BZL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

It weighs about five pounds and folds up to be pretty much as small as a laptop bag. Only holds ~150 pounds, but if I'm moving something heavier than that, that thing has wheels already.

Our bassist had a problem moving PA equipment with his, since the subs are pushing that 150 pound limit, so he bought one of these which is a little more sturdy but the handle doesn't collapse into itself, so it takes up more room in the car.

I can stack my kick, both toms, and my snare on the first one up there and wheel the whole setup into the gig at once. However, since my drums are in bags, it's like wheeling a tower of Jell-o. The one in your link is nice because you can use it as a 4-wheel cart if you need that capability.

• Members

Does anyone use anything like this Roller cart/dolly for loading equipment?

I'm thinking about getting one for those gigs where the stage is quite a distance from the load-in.

Worth their weight in gold!

I have the R6, a bit smaller. I can put a 5-pc kit (22, 12, 13, 16, snare), a mid-size suitcase, cymbal bag, small PA head, gig bag, and rug on it. (I carry my stands in an army duffel bag which doesn't load well on the cart ... I haven't figured that out yet).

Best deal you'll find on it is here.

• Members

Worth their weight in gold!

I have the R6, a bit smaller. I can put a 5-pc kit (22, 12, 13, 16, snare), a mid-size suitcase, cymbal bag, small PA head, gig bag, and rug on it. (I carry my stands in an army duffel bag which doesn't load well on the cart ... I haven't figured that out yet).

Best deal you'll find on it is

Thanks, I was wondering if the R6 would be big enough for my small 4 pc. drum kit. That is a good price on that link.

• Members

I use
this
:

It weighs about five pounds and folds up to be pretty much as small as a laptop bag. Only holds ~150 pounds, but if I'm moving something heavier than that, that thing has wheels already.

Our bassist had a problem moving PA equipment with his, since the subs are pushing that 150 pound limit, so he bought one of
these
which is a little more sturdy but the handle doesn't collapse into itself, so it takes up more room in the car.

I can stack my kick, both toms, and my snare on the first one up there and wheel the whole setup into the gig at once. However, since my drums are in bags, it's like wheeling a tower of Jell-o. The one in your link is nice because you can use it as a 4-wheel cart if you need that capability.

Thanks, that is a compact and cheap dolly. I think the band and I could use that in addition to the platform style dolly.

• Members

$160 sounds like a lot of cash. I'm sure it's good and all, but I'd also think you could get something way cheaper. Have you looked at like Home Despot or something?

I'm always skeptical when I see something generic like this being marketed at "musicians". Stuff like the cart or rugs or something. I think they're trying to rip us off.

This appears to be pretty much the same thing at Home Despot for less than half the cost:

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100071520

Good luck.

• Members

I use
this
:

I don't do music gigs anymore, however I do photography, and I have to do on location lighting set-ups. If I have to carry 10x10 ft lighting tents and large scrimms w/strobes to an outdoor location, I'm generally seen using that same foldable handcart.

However, if I'm only carrying 80lbs and below, then I use this:

http://shop1.outpost.com/product/4789989

• Members

$160 sounds like a lot of cash. I'm sure it's good and all, but I'd also think you could get something way cheaper. Have you looked at like Home Despot or something?

I'm always skeptical when I see something generic like this being marketed at "musicians". Stuff like the cart or rugs or something. I think they're trying to rip us off.

This appears to be pretty much the same thing at Home Despot for less than half the cost:

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100071520

Good luck.

Despot = tyrant: a cruel and oppressive dictator

Depot = storehouse: a depository for goods

;):thu:

Archived