1st DDJ experience

BEAD

• Members

I went into my roomates college radio station and played a 2 hour set. I'd never run 2 turntables, a fader, etc. It was a blast! I know that nobody listens to college radio after midnight in the summer, but I had an awesome time. I've long considered upgrading my home record player... Maybe I'll end up with 2. I would keep it on a hobby level (1 in 4 portlanders is a dj) but I found it really rewarding, and challenging. Sort of a rush when the transitions sounded good. As a bass player and general music enthusiest I think this would be a nice second hobby. Y'all have a great day!

• Members

I remember my first experience behind the wheels of steel. I was 12 years old which would have made it 1984. It was my summer vacation and so I was at home and the babysitter my mom had lined up for my little sister and I didn't show up.......

So, in my mom's infinite genius, she dropped us off at our next door neighbours who were big time hip hop heads. I won't even mention the fact that they were crack heads as well - we were po folk.........;-)

Anyways, they agreed to babysit us and they had decks there. They were old school Technics direct drives - the kind without a quartz lock, so if you'd touch a record it would slow right down and you'd have to play with the pitch controller to get it back up to speed again.........

I spent every single day that summer over there and by the end of it, I was cutting and scratching like DJ Jazzy Jeff.......;-) Well, not quite.......

By the next summer, I had managed to save up enough from odd jobs, birthdays and the odd time my dad would drop by to give me a little bit of money to buy my own decks and it's all history from there on in.........

Memories........

GHowell

Archived