Ludwig Classic Maple vs Gretsch Renown

BoomRecRoom

• Members

Had a Gretsch. Sold it and bought a Luddy Classic Maple. Love it, love it, love it! The best way I can describe the Luddy sound is that it has character. The Gretsch didn't sound bad, it just didn't sound great to my ears. It was fine. I didn't want just a fine drum set. I don't think you will regret buying a Luddy.

• Members

I'm a BIG fan of gretsch for some reason, I love their bearing edges it really does make a big deal. They sound so much warmer than typical sets and the renowns price is awesome. I would keep the renowns, or give it to me :thu:

• Members

Get out the cheque book and splurge on the Legacy Classics. 3-plys of pure goodness. Old recipe but new quality control. I have played 2 sets and I WILL OWN ONE!!! I played the 24" kick and it was warmer, rounder sounding, and BIGGER than any other kick I have played before. (including a 26" ludwig kick I had before).

Gretch smetch, go ludwig or go home!!!

• Members

My feeling on those Legacy Classics is that while they are nice drums, they just don't have the mojo an old keystone badge kit has. Plus there is something to say for old wood. And, I'm of the belief that the mahogany/poplar/mahogany drums sounded better than the maple/poplar/maple drums did. So for half what one of those Legacy kits costs, you could get the real deal.

• Members

My feeling on those Legacy Classics is that while they are nice drums, they just don't have the mojo an old keystone badge kit has. Plus there is something to say for old wood. And, I'm of the belief that the mahogany/poplar/mahogany drums sounded better than the maple/poplar/maple drums did. So for half what one of those Legacy kits costs, you could get the real deal.

Im diggin this idea the best.

• Members

Had a Gretsch. Sold it and bought a Luddy Classic Maple. Love it, love it, love it! The best way I can describe the Luddy sound is that it has character. The Gretsch didn't sound bad, it just didn't sound great to my ears. It was fine. I didn't want just a fine drum set. I don't think you will regret buying a Luddy.

That's where I'm at too. I'll have to see how much I can get for the Gretsch's

• Members

Hey Boom... If you decide to part ways with your renowns, I might be interested in taking them off your hands.

What sizes are they, which finish are they, and where in Canada are you?

Hey Sudz,

My kit is only 5 months old. It's a 5 piece with a 22"x18" BD, 14"x14" FT, 10"x8" and 12"x9" TT's and a 5"x14" SN. It's a Blue Burst finish in excellent condition. I live in Winnipeg so I'm not sure what shipping costs are.

I would probably ask $1400 and see how this goes. There was another Renown for sale up here a few months ago and it sold very quickly for the same price I want to ask.

• Members

My feeling on those Legacy Classics is that while they are nice drums, they just don't have the mojo an old keystone badge kit has. Plus there is something to say for
old wood
. And, I'm of the belief that the mahogany/poplar/mahogany drums sounded better than the maple/poplar/maple drums did. So for half what one of those Legacy kits costs, you could get the real deal.

The difference being that the old drums were hit or miss with bearing edges and hardware. And when they were " a hit" among drummers years ago the wood wasn't old. As far as mahogany vs maple thats apples to oranges As far as I think. Mahogany is a warmer wood but the application might not be as good for hard rock. I love mahogany (real mahogany that is , not that faux wood from the phillipines etc) but the maple has a different sound. Each has its fans and detractors. I have played the new ones and I love the sound, even more than the originals. Similar sound but slightly updated, if that makes any sense. I guess perfect bearing edges, premium wood, and todays heads make them better than they ever were. I am not slagging the mahogany drums, as they were great too. But I could not help thinking "jazz" when I played a set of them about 10 years ago. Great for unmiked small group settings. But everyone has an opinion and thats what a forum is for.... to voice them in a public setting.

• Members

I've yet to see a keystone mahogany drum with the bumpiest edges... that still didn't sound like it was supposed to. I've even had them with the edges out of square... a floor tom that looked like it had a snare bed in it... STILL sounded great. It's all in how you tune 'em and what you put on them. And what is there to the hardware? There hardly is any. The rail mount worked, the spurs not so good... but that could be remedied with a carpet and a block of wood. And everyone playin' rock in the sixties and anyone in the seventies who hadn't bought new drums, were using mahogany shells. Sounded fine to me.

• Members

I've yet to see a keystone mahogany drum with the bumpiest edges... that still didn't sound like it was supposed to. I've even had them with the edges out of square... a floor tom that looked like it had a snare bed in it... STILL sounded great. It's all in how you tune 'em and what you put on them. And what is there to the hardware? There hardly is any. The rail mount worked, the spurs not so good... but that could be remedied with a carpet and a block of wood. And everyone playin' rock in the sixties and anyone in the seventies who hadn't bought new drums, were using mahogany shells. Sounded fine to me.

Big difference between the "rock and roll" of the late sixties and the hard rock of today. I am in NO WAY slagging mahogany drums. They are super sounding warm tubs, but not the type of attack and volume I personally like in a drum. If EVERY SHOW that I played was miked (which it is not) then sure, but if I had a vintage set, I probably wouldn't be dragging them around to clubs and put them at risk. Easier to replace a new set of legacy's then replace a set of vintage tubs.

• Members

At twice the cost? Ebay Craigslist are full of 1000-1500 dollar vintage luddy kits. Lots a stuff has been done on those kits. They were the standard for years. As I said, it's all in the heads and the tuning. You won't convince me otherwise. So stop trying. ;)

Archived