How to play music out loud while filming covers?

milo91

• Members

Hi guys

I'm planning on filming myself playing a couple of songs. Just wondering how people play the song out loud so when people watch the video they are able to hear the song. I hope i am making sense. If worse comes to worse, i''ll have to just play it through ipods.

So just wondering how to play it out loud?

cheers guys

• Members

I got myself some BIGASS speakers for my stereo, cranked the bastards up to 11, and rocked out. I had to stop and listen several times to adjust the volume to the correct setting so as to not compete with the drums, but to cooperate with them. It works great,(with hearing protection of course)

• Members

I think the best covers are when the drummer either listens through headphones and then sync's the original audio to the video and balances the two OR sends the audio from his/her iPod or CD to headphones AND the video recorder at the same time on a separate audio track.

In other words, you ultimately end up with two audio tracks, one of you playing and one of the song you are covering. That way you can balance the two. You also have a clean track of just your drums and can compress them a bit so they stay above the original song.

Now... since I answer your question, I'll give you advice on how to avoid my biggest Youtube pet peeve...

PLEASE when exporting your video, make sure that you are setting key frames AT LEAST every 150 frames. I personally do mine 24 or 48 frames for anything with music. This keeps the audio and video in sync. If you've ever watched a video where the guy's hitting the snare an 8th note off from when the snare sounds, that's because they probably didn't set the key frame at all. If you don't set a key frame, the audio and video will start together, but there's nothing in place to keep them together.

If you are using a Mac and iMovie, just "share to youtube". That will get all the settings correct. If not, just find where you set the key frame and get it set. There's no need to go lower than 24.

-Tom

• Members

I think the best covers are when the drummer either listens through headphones and then sync's the original audio to the video and balances the two OR sends the audio from his/her iPod or CD to headphones AND the video recorder at the same time on a separate audio track.

In other words, you ultimately end up with two audio tracks, one of you playing and one of the song you are covering. That way you can balance the two. You also have a clean track of just your drums and can compress them a bit so they stay above the original song.

Now... since I answer your question, I'll give you advice on how to avoid my biggest Youtube pet peeve...

PLEASE when exporting your video, make sure that you are setting key frames AT LEAST every 150 frames. I personally do mine 24 or 48 frames for anything with music. This keeps the audio and video in sync. If you've ever watched a video where the guy's hitting the snare an 8th note off from when the snare sounds, that's because they probably didn't set the key frame at all. If you don't set a key frame, the audio and video will start together, but there's nothing in place to keep them together.

If you are using a Mac and iMovie, just "share to youtube". That will get all the settings correct. If not, just find where you set the key frame and get it set. There's no need to go lower than 24.

-Tom

That is what I have done. It does drive me nuts though because by the end of the song, the two are off. I need to figure out how to do what you mentioned here Tom. Is it easy to do in MS moviemaker? Someone gave me a copy of Nero that I have not tried yet though.

• Members

Hi BroadST. Nothing is overly easy in MS land. I've never used MS Moviemaker. Someone that still uses Windows (I'm assuming people still use windows ;) ) will have to chime in and answer that question.

Look around through the export preferences for something that says "Key Frame".

• Members

Hi BroadST. Nothing is overly easy in MS land. I've never used MS Moviemaker. Someone that still uses Windows (I'm assuming people still use windows
;)
) will have to chime in and answer that question.

Look around through the export preferences for something that says "Key Frame".

Thanks Tom. I have heard Nero is a zillion times better so I will try that. I was actually thinking of doing that this week. I will search around for the key frame feather though. Thanks for the help!!

Archived