Dave Grohl on Rockstar, Granstar, and Artstar II?

BlackTuesday

• Members

During Nirvana I never understood why Dave played such good yet "non-professional" equipment. I mean I know he was in a grunge band that doesnt really strive for the best sound and I know Nirvana wasnt the richest band around but I mean what pro doesnt use pro equipment? Atleast a Superstar or something? idk

• Members

From what I remember about the early 90's (was dazed and confused back then) it was a come as you are kind of thing. They played {censored} gear as a garage band, and went pro playing the same {censored}...

Radio shack speakers beat up guitars and all.. Or to an extent. They were trying to be honest...

The clothes came from goodwill, the gear came from pawn shops and the music was raw and real... To an extent, then mainstream got a hold of something pure and bastardized it to market it to the masses and made millions... They milked it for all it was worth, and threw them all away before their 30th birthday to move on to the next profitable trend... Sorry to rant, and ramble but, the music industry really bugs me....

• Members

+1 box, the music industry bugs me too.

another interesting fact about nirvana is that their most popular song was so overplayed, it got to the point where they hated playing it live.

but yeah as far as the gear goes, i think they were pretty much more focused about the pure aggressiveness and rawness of the music, and they didnt care what gear they played as long as they were playing music.

btw i like dave grohl much more as the drummer of nirvana than the frontman of the foo fighters. he did record all of the drum parts for tenacious d in the pick of destiny tho. hopefully he does some more work as a drummer cuz i enjoy his work.

• Members

Thanks so much for that last video bro... That made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside...:thu:

Bad technique, {censored}ty drum licks, noise and distortion and destruction and a big F-U middle finger in general... That's what rock is all about....

• Members

started their career on a Granstar, switched to a Granstar II, then for the In Utero era played an Artstar II with a Rockstar sometimes making an appearance, I believe for destruction purposes. Now in between the Granstar and Artstar he was seen playing several different Granstar kits, but they were pretty much all destroyed. He always used the old Artwood birch snares in 8x14. All Tama hardware except for a DW 5000 Turbo pedal, and a Sonor Hi Hat stand as it was the only on that raised high enough for him. He used all remo heads except for his snare. Pinstripes and Ambassadors on the toms, and a Powerstroke 3 on the kick, and an Aquarian Hi Energy on his snare due to how hard he played. He also used Aquarian power sleeve drum sticks. He used all zildijan cymbals, all of which are discontinued other than the Hi Hats I believe. 18 and 20 inch A Heavy crashes, 22 or 24 inch A Heavy ride (depending on which era), and 15 inch A Rock Hats.

Archived