good ways of finding musicians? NEED HELP!! singer/lyricist needed!

• Members

my band DESPERATELY needs a singer/lyricist. we don't care where they are. location is not an issue at all.

besides posting in the DC City Paper and on all the online musicians sites i know, and just carrying flyers around with me just in case i see someone that looks cool, i cant think of many other ways.

i tell people i know to tell their friends and such, and if i approach someone about it and they don't sing, i ask them to tell anyone they know about us, etc.

we're gonna start hanging around outside concerts and giving people flyers.

a lot of these methods still limit us in location. and though we live in dc, we'd move to, say, chicago, IL or portland, OR if we found the right person. but how do we find theese people if they live there. not everyone checks online things.

would a road-trip type thing where we stay in all the major cities for a few days each be a sound investment?

what are some other ways?

we've thought about moving, but then we're just limiting ourselves to a different city. and it's still just one.

any help/ideas would be appreciated.

• Members

Have you scouted the open mics in the DC area? Seems to me there must be some going on somewhere (I'm on the other coast, but I recall DC having some "arty" areas). An open mic will be absolutely crawling with people dying to join your group.

You could also try here:

http://saw.org/saw/index.asp

They have a list of open mics here:

http://saw.org/saw/resources.asp

• Members

Originally posted by chris mccrea

my band DESPERATELY needs a singer/lyricist. we don't care where they are. location is not an issue at all.

besides posting in the DC City Paper and on all the online musicians sites i know, and just carrying flyers around with me just in case i see someone that looks cool, i cant think of many other ways.

i tell people i know to tell their friends and such, and if i approach someone about it and they don't sing, i ask them to tell anyone they know about us, etc.

we're gonna start hanging around outside concerts and giving people flyers.

a lot of these methods still limit us in location. and though we live in dc, we'd move to, say, chicago, IL or portland, OR if we found the right person. but how do we find theese people if they live there. not everyone checks online things.

would a road-trip type thing where we stay in all the major cities for a few days each be a sound investment?

what are some other ways?

we've thought about moving, but then we're just limiting ourselves to a different city. and it's still just one.

any help/ideas would be appreciated.

Go walk around on a college campus and ask people.

• Members

Originally posted by NOTHING CHANGES

Go walk around on a college campus and ask people.

done that too.and posted flyers all over the dorms.

most of the people around there are dumb frat jock types who probably dont even like our kind fo music.

and image is somewhat important too. we don't want someone who looks completely out of place

Archived