Video of my band from a show this Saturday

Dark Slide

• Members

I just don't get it... any of it really. And I'm not all that old.
However, I'm not going to bust on it... to each there own.

The band is obviously solid in what they do...

what's the story behind the gig? looks like a park or something... private party?

• Members

I think that's typically more of a
marsh
pit.

Wouldn't that be a marshmellow pit?

Dark, that was an excellent performance.

For me it's more of the vocals that I'd pass on. I know it does take talent to scream for a full set, but I'd rather listen to instrumental or a singer. That's just MHO ,but the band is definately tight.

• Members

;)Man, your a good drummer! The music is...not for me.But {censored}, you guys know how to play! Well done.

As for the moshers, I kinda place that kind of thing under the same heading as guys who like to wrestle. Slamming into other sweaty, pudgy guys is not what I would call testosterone-driven, no matter how you gussy it up with terms like "Aggressive dance" and whatnot. Some of those guys oughtta try dancing with some GIRLS, rather than rubbing up against one another! But hey, Im obviously missing something

Still, your a {censored} of a good drummer.

• Members

Still, your a {censored} of a good drummer.

I was actually going to double check that you're playing the drums on these recordings... I remember that you're a bassist, too, right? Still, now that I think of it, it would have been odd to post this here if you were playing something other than the skins. I think I recognize the sound of your funky feet, too.

/w

• Members

Tight drumming.

The moshing is a bit weak. If you're going to hit someone, put some stink on it. Too many skinny people trying to pull "hit and runs" on bigger folk. You really should expect to get dropped if you charge into someone larger than yourself.

• Members

Thanks for all the positive comments. I'm impressed and surprised, to be honest. The response to metal on this forum is usually about as negative as it gets.

I appreciate the feedback.

Well you guys ARE tight and your drumming is solid as well...

BUT you play a genre of metal, that back in the day we called "death" metal. Pantera was metal, Sabbath was metal, Priest was metal, you guys are more death metal than metal, like Obituary. There is a difference.

Now a days I'm more into lighter stuff but I have respect for what you do, been there done that, not as a drummer but as guitar and bass in past bands, and I know what it takes to be good at it. You guys are good...

• Members

So, since I was getting such good responses here, I figured I would take things a little further. I know death metal gets a bad wrap for having really boring drum pieces, and I agree for the most part... but I have made an effort to throw some interesting (at least to me) stuff into our music, so I figured I would post a couple examples.

At about 3:53 in the first video this next riff comes in. The hands aren't doing anything special, but the footwork is fun.

http://hatredalive.com/nicks/drums/untitledending.mp3

I also have another video up of a newer song of ours that has some fun stuff in it also:

wdCM6pWNqrM

This beat comes in at around the 1:00 mark. The hands, once again, aren't doing anything special, but the foot work is fun. It's impossible to hear in the live track, and hard to hear on the solo drum track... but it's there anyway! The foot work goes RLR, two 16ths and an 8th note followed by the left foot stepping on the hats.

http://hatredalive.com/nicks/drums/carnivorousimpulsebeat.mp3

Edit: I got the next video up.

55zY0yOfgfo

I really tore one section of this song apart, specifically the riff that starts at around 00:21. Rather than coming in on the "1" I shifted the whole drum beat a half a beat early. I tried to put together a couple examples to get my meaning across. The china cymbal in this next mp3 is on the downbeat of 1:

http://hatredalive.com/nicks/drums/skinnerbeatontime.mp3

Now what I did was take the whole thing and shift it, so the down beat on the 1 is actually a syncopated note usually played on the hihats (I put it on the china during this so you could hear it better). The bass drums come in on the up beat just before the one. It causes the whole riff to shift around. The china, once again, is on the 1, but you'll notice because of the shift, it is now syncopated.

http://hatredalive.com/nicks/drums/skinnerbeatofftime.mp3

I have a poor quality sample of the song that we did a while back. It's a little sketchy because I was just learning the song and it's a little weird to play... but here you go:

http://hatredalive.com/nicks/drums/skinnerbeat.mp3

• Members

Your drums sound quite good. Any special treatment? Mics?

Usually things sound a lot cleaner outside.

There's a lot of macho posturing among your moshers.

I don't do cookie monster vocals. I just don't get it. There are so many more creative ways to express your malcontentedness. Really unfortunate because I almost get the impression that your singer has the pipes to do some much more interesting vocal lines.

Guitar and bass are awash. I have no idea how they sound. But clean lines in this brand of metal are pretty hard to pull off.

Your drumming is really intense. Nice work. I wonder how a china cymbal, or trashcan lid, or the right piece of sheet metal would sound with this?

• Members

Your drums sound quite good. Any special treatment? Mics?

Usually things sound a lot cleaner outside.

There's a lot of macho posturing among your moshers.

I don't do cookie monster vocals. I just don't get it. There are so many more creative ways to express your malcontentedness. Really unfortunate because I almost get the impression that your singer has the pipes to do some much more interesting vocal lines.

Guitar and bass are awash. I have no idea how they sound. But clean lines in this brand of metal are pretty hard to pull off.

Your drumming is really intense. Nice work. I wonder how a china cymbal, or trashcan lid, or the right piece of sheet metal would sound with this?

I use 18 and 12" Wuhan chinas. I had a 20" for a long time, but it ended up cracking after 7 years or so. I would like ot get another 20" but the 18" was free.

• Members

Good stuff Dark Slide. I like your bands stuff. I just wish there was a little more clearity in the vids. But that's to be expected outdoors etc.

I'd like to see a mosh pit in front of an acoustic folk act. That would be cool.

There were pits at the Pogues concert back in 91/92 when I saw them.

• Members

Very good Dark Slide, I don't listen to death metal anymore but I think your style is actually quite distinguishable compared to most bands (even accomplished/popular DM bands).

My favourite was the second clip you posted, I'll have to agree with marko about your hand work, good {censored} man!

I didn't care for the singer myself. He makes me think he's trying to be like a skinny version of George Fisher - are your bandmates heavily influenced by Cannibal Corpse by chance?

I can't resist commenting on the crowd, it's cool that you got a decent amount of attention and some moshing going on - I've been to some bigger shows where the opening acts didn't recieve any response at all. That windmill and high kicking sort of moshing/slam dancing is such bull{censored}, guys that do that are doing it purely out of intention to hurt others and not enjoy the music and share their pent up anger, they're just dicks. Even at Slayer shows I've not seen people act quite that stupid, but one black metal show I attended there was some elbowing me in the back because I wouldn't let him in front of me so a few strong kicks backwards detered him from persisting.

For those who don't understanding mosh pits. Moshing is a form of release, it's usually in the middle of the crowd roughly five or six rows back from the front stage, and people usually just slam into one another and every so often there are a few elbows or fists thrown but if someone actually goes down they are helped up - yet deaths have occured in the past. It's just an outlet for both the appreciation of the music and a violent protest towards society and the social normalities that are expected of us. That may not seem to make sense but generally that's what it means to a number of metalheads.

Archived