Anyone know anything about publishing?

kingsaw

• Members

i'm looking over the application--I have a demo, but it says that 'commercial' recording. This is just a demo that i've been distributing to people to hype my band. I haven't sold any--I just want to keep other people from banking off these songs. Can I still join?

• Members

Originally posted by winnersblues

i'm looking over the application--I have a demo, but it says that 'commercial' recording. This is just a demo that i've been distributing to people to hype my band. I haven't sold any--I just want to keep other people from banking off these songs. Can I still join?

Sell just one copy, and it's a commercial recording. IMO, I'd go ahead and fill out the application. :cool:

• Members

What about being a ghost writer? Would it make since for a good songwriter to start their own publishing company in order to exploit songs to labels? Or what about submitting songs directly to different publishing companies?

• Members

A Publishing Company serves 2 purposes... collecting the monies payable to the songwriter for airplay royalties, and helping the songwriter exploit their catalog, by placing the recording in Movies and TV, and by getting other artists to cover the songwriters' songs...

Someone with no songs getting airplay, and no contacts in the music business is not going to have much sucess at making money as a publisher...

If you're a songwriter, and are having good success getting airplay, and people are coming to you asking to record your music, owning your own publishing company can be a good idea... but it's often easier to get an administrative publishing deal than to do all that work yourself...

• Members

Originally posted by gtrjones

A Publishing Company serves 2 purposes... collecting the monies payable to the songwriter for airplay royalties, and helping the songwriter exploit their catalog, by placing the recording in Movies and TV, and by getting other artists to cover the songwriters' songs...

Someone with no songs getting airplay, and no contacts in the music business is not going to have much sucess at making money as a publisher...

If you're a songwriter, and are having good success getting airplay, and people are coming to you asking to record your music, owning your own publishing company can be a good idea... but it's often easier to get an administrative publishing deal than to do all that work yourself...

Yes, that is the way it is.

Archived