Same drum, different sound

BlackTuesday

• Members

Would it be possible to have two of the exact same toms and tune one to its specific tuning for your preference and then tune the other one higher or lower to sound like a smaller or bigger tom?

For example you have a 12,13, 16 setup and you get another 13 tom of the exact same series, color, etc. and you want it to be inbetween the 13 and 16 so you can in a sense have 4 different toms.

Im asking because I could possibly come across this senario in the future

• Members

Would it be possible to have two of the exact same toms and tune one to its specific tuning for your preference and then tune the other one higher or lower to sound like a smaller or bigger tom?

For example you have a 12,13, 16 setup and you get another 13 tom of the exact same series, color, etc. and you want it to be inbetween the 13 and 16 so you can in a sense have 4 different toms.

Im asking because I could possibly come across this senario in the future

Yeah, it's been done:

PicturesOfLilyKit.jpg

Thing is, each drum has a sweet spot where it really sings. You may find two 13s (even of the same size, make, etc.) actually sound better on two different notes. Or not. If not, then you may not be able to get much difference between the two without putting one or both of them out of its best range. Or you may, the only way is to try.

If I had your setup I'd get a 10" or an 18". If I went to the trouble of adding a drum I'd want to add a voice outside the range I had, not fill it in more. Closely-tuned drums sound good under the mics but tend to all sound the same from the audience when unmiked.

Archived