Rogers snare, what can you tell me about it?

Majoria

• Members

Our youth group (age 10-15) had a snare drum donated to stare a drum corp. Below are the photos I took of this snare to start out our collection and it's a Rogers which is before my time. I'm guessing it's not any of their high end models since its' a 6 lug. Also, I noticed when disassembling it that only 3 lugs on each head had the small spacers on the lug. Is it supposed to have all 6 total lugs with the spacers on one head and the other without?

I have to replace the strainer since it was only being held on with some wire. I doubt that was stock.

Rogers5.JPG

Rogers3.JPG

Rogers4.JPG

Rogers1.JPG

Rogers2.JPG

Rogers6.JPG

• Members

Well the shell looks to be a 3 ply which is a good start. Never heard too many complaints about the potential of those shells to sound good. The snares themselves definately need changing as some of the strands are stretched and will give infinite "buzz" as they wont be sitting flush to the bottom head. Some head changes are in order and definately the snare cords.

I think that the snare could be put back to life for a little over 50 bucks.

Heads usually run around 10-15 bucks each and the snare wires are around 15-20. Cord to attach it would be minimal money. Then just give her a good cleaning with mild soap and water on a soft cloth(lightly) avoiding getting any open wood parts wet, just a damp dusting really, and oil any moving parts (not the tuning lugs though, they could de-tune if oiled under playing)

If you aren't sure how to get her running, it wouldn't be hard to find a drummer to spend 20 minutes on it to help out. Wish I could help more.

Oh yeah, any old washers will substitute for the spacers. Lots of my drums don't have any on it, and it doesn't make any difference.

• Members

You sir, have scored a jewel produced in the early sixties and depending on condition can fetch up to $700 or higher depending on the desperation of the buyer. My suggestion check the bearing edges and if needed re-cut them but leave the cosmetics alone and play the {censored} out it.

• Members

In the right hands,you'd never know they were cut or touched up,pictures are deceiving,at least get them checked out would be my suggestion,as for the cosmetics,leave the original wrap on is what I meant. I have a Rogers set that I'm putting together and you'd be surprised of the irregularities in the edges just from years of expansion and contraction of the shell.

• Members

Thanks for the feedback. I've been drumming for over 15 years but never had an opportunity to clean up an older snare that's been sitting in a spare room for many years. Since it was donated to be used by a kids group, I'd prefer to sell it if it really is worth some good money and get a few snare drums out of it since they'll just be beating on it anyway. Would hate to damage a gem.

Any idea what year it is? I know one of our regulars here is a Rogers expert.

• Members

I was gonna suggest that but thought I'd get slapped for telling you to part with a gift. Its definately a good idea. Take it to a good drum shop, and have it appraised. (of course dont tell them you are gonna sell it or they may lowball the offer and try to buy it from you on the spot). Just tell them its for insurance.

If you are gonna sell, don't alter any structural parts such as bearing edges. Leave that up to a buyer. Parts such as snare wires, heads and cords dont affect value up or down as they are consumable parts and are rarely ever stock on a vintage drum.

Then buy a small fleet of Ludwig used acrolites off ebay and you could potentially get 3-5 drums that sound great for this one drum.

• Members

My suggestion, as a rogers collector......... would be to carefully clean the wrap, polish the hardware, and play it. Value to 700.00 is somewhat over stated. A luxor will bring in the 200-400 dollar range for fine examples or rare colors. The Luxor is the student version of Rogers 60s snare drums. It is the same shell as used for Powertone eight lug drums, and dynasonic ten lug drums. Yours is a cleveland drum, produced between 63-66. Three ply shell would put it to 63-64, Five ply shell, 64-66. Do not have the edges recut.

And dont over tension this.

• Members

It would still be nice to convert this into 2 snare drums by getting 300 bucks. I have seen tons of acrolites go for 75 to 150 dollars. If you could get 2 or 3 bills, it could potentially get you 3 cheaper drums, and this drum would get into a collectors hands. A mutually beneficial arrangement if you ask me. Even 2 drums is 100% more drums than you have now. Worth thinking about.

Also, try asking around at some of the music stores if they have any old snares sitting around they would be willing to donate or loan to your cause. This in turn would ensure that all future stick/head/wire purchases were made at the store. There are still lots of good people around willing to help out kids. (especially if their smiling faces accompanied you when you asked!!!!)

Wouldn't hurt placing an ad in your local paper asking for ANY type of percussion equipment someone could donate. Lots of parents with long gone kids storing unwanted drums etc that might help you out.

• Members

It is a 3 ply and I have no intention of having the edges cut.

How much tension could this safely handle? I have a Drum Dial to use as reference if that helps. Again, the purpose was to be used as a marching snare but if it is used that way I want the kids to respect it.

Would the common snare heads of today (coated Ambassador over Hazy) sound good on it or do these sing best with a different setup? If it's to be used for marching I doubt I'll go with an Ambassador, rather a center dot of some sort. The Evans Reverse Center Dot I have on another snare of mine may work.

• Members

My suggestion, as a rogers collector......... would be to carefully clean the wrap, polish the hardware, and play it. Value to 700.00 is somewhat over stated. A luxor will bring in the 200-400 dollar range for fine examples or rare colors. The Luxor is the student version of Rogers 60s snare drums. It is the same shell as used for Powertone eight lug drums, and dynasonic ten lug drums. Yours is a cleveland drum, produced between 63-66. Three ply shell would put it to 63-64, Five ply shell, 64-66. Do not have the edges recut.

And dont over tension this.

Got the quote at Jollity Farm,apparently he's on the higher end of value. Don't know what you guys have against re-cutting bearing edges but to each is own I guess,if they're bad it effects over all performance, you don't drive around on a flat tire cuz your afraid of a new tire giving a smoother ride do ya? but any way Majoria, I hope you and the kids enjoy the Rogers Snare:thu:

• Members

It is a 3 ply and I have no intention of having the edges cut.

How much tension could this safely handle? I have a Drum Dial to use as reference if that helps. Again, the purpose was to be used as a marching snare but if it is used that way I want the kids to respect it.

Would the common snare heads of today (coated Ambassador over Hazy) sound good on it or do these sing best with a different setup? If it's to be used for marching I doubt I'll go with an Ambassador, rather a center dot of some sort. The Evans Reverse Center Dot I have on another snare of mine may work.

The high tension you would require to power this drum as a marcher, is way too much for a six lug drum. Drum dial at 80 should be about right for this... But I would start at 75 and work up. Coated Diplomat on top, Ambassador snare side.

• Members

Got the quote at Jollity Farm,apparently he's on the higher end of value. Don't know what you guys have against re-cutting bearing edges but to each is own I guess,if they're bad it effects over all performance, you don't drive around on a flat tire cuz your afraid of a new tire giving a smoother ride do ya? but any way Majoria, I hope you and the kids enjoy the Rogers Snare:thu:

Because if you cut the edges, it's just a drum with rogers parts on it. The value takes an enormous nose dive.

• Members

Because if you cut the edges, it's just a drum with rogers parts on it. The value takes an enormous nose dive.

Listen to cheese on this one, as a collector, I would rather have slightly rough ORIGINAL edges, than recut ones. What makes a vintage drum special is the edges and the long lost tone it gives a drum, and if those are gone, like he said, its just another drum. Who wants a vintage drum with a "current" tone, I'd just as soon buy a current model drum.

• Members

My theory on recutting vintage drum edges: If you are going to play it as a main snare, sure, by all means, cut it, but don't expect any resale value from it... But, if you are a collector, and will only play it on occasions, just clean it carefully.

• Members

I bought new heads and a strainer for it this morning, poor kid at GC had no idea what he was doing. They keep the snare side heads behind the counter and he tried to sell me a clear Ambassador (not Hazy) for it. Just put it together (with a Hazy) and tested it. Not too bad, needs a little tweaking and one of the hold downs for the strainer strap is stripped so I have that strap off to the side where the other one can grab it. Hope to resolve that when I get back from my overnight excursion tomorrow. Bearing edges aren't perfect but decent for being kept in someone's living room for the last who knows how many years.

Archived