What eqiupment do I need to start scratching?

ManWithThePlan

• Members

Hello, I play guitar, but I am interested in scratching and turntablism. I know nothing whatsoever about the gear requirements, skills needed, or how to do it, but I want to learn more. Tell me, what do I need in order to start scratching, what are some of the basic skills i need to know, and what is some good equipment to start off with?

Thanks.

• Members

Okay, I'll bite...

To do any sort of dj type stuff, there are a few basic things that you have to have:

At least two sound sources. Traditionally this has been a pair of turntables, but with recent technological advances many dj's including the scratch crowd have been using cd players successfully. People will argue all day about what equipment is best for these applications. The turntable debate is especially hot lately as companies like Vestax & Numark are starting to produce models to compete with the industry standard Technics 1200...

A mixer. If you want to scratch, be sure to choose one that was built for it. A scratch mixer will be designed so that things like the cross fader contour, specific control features, and general layout are suited to a turntablist as opposed to some contrasting needs of a mix dj. There is a huge variety of mixers available, and as a general rule the build quality and amount of features goes up as the price goes up. This is pretty much true for any other piece of dj equipment as well.

Headphones. So you can monitor sources besides the one that is playing over the master out on your mixer. Probably not the most crucial thing you'll buy when you're first getting started. As long as you have something that sounds halfway decent and is comfortable to wear for long periods of time they'll get you by. Sony, Sennheiser, & Technics are some of the big names in this department.

Amp & Monitors. Just about anything will do, just something to plug your mixer output into so you can actually hear what you're doing...

Do some searching in past threads to see what specific models have been recommended before. And if at all possible, go to a place like Guitar Center and get your hands on a few pieces before you buy anything.

Good luck & have fun...

• Members

Originally posted by 6ftabovsealevel

Okay, I'll bite...

To do any sort of dj type stuff, there are a few basic things that you have to have:

At least two sound sources. Traditionally this has been a pair of turntables, but with recent technological advances many dj's including the scratch crowd have been using cd players successfully. People will argue all day about what equipment is best for these applications. The turntable debate is especially hot lately as companies like Vestax & Numark are starting to produce models to compete with the industry standard Technics 1200...

A mixer. If you want to scratch, be sure to choose one that was built for it. A scratch mixer will be designed so that things like the cross fader contour, specific control features, and general layout are suited to a turntablist as opposed to some contrasting needs of a mix dj. There is a huge variety of mixers available, and as a general rule the build quality and amount of features goes up as the price goes up. This is pretty much true for any other piece of dj equipment as well.

Headphones. So you can monitor sources besides the one that is playing over the master out on your mixer. Probably not the most crucial thing you'll buy when you're first getting started. As long as you have something that sounds halfway decent and is comfortable to wear for long periods of time they'll get you by. Sony, Sennheiser, & Technics are some of the big names in this department.

Amp & Monitors. Just about anything will do, just something to plug your mixer output into so you can actually hear what you're doing...

Do some searching in past threads to see what specific models have been recommended before. And if at all possible, go to a place like Guitar Center and get your hands on a few pieces before you buy anything.

Good luck & have fun...

Thanks, anyone else care to add anything? God, this forum is friggin' deserted.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Originally posted by 6ftabovsealevel

Okay, I'll bite...

Good luck & have fun...

:eek: wow thats a lot if info :D

sounds cool to try out one day though :)

• Members

Technics 1200s (They'll be MK3Ds most likely these days if you buy them new. I think the Shure M44-7 carts are the best for serious scratching (they are used by many scratch crews like the X-ecutioners. Also, Vestax mixers are pretty much the standard. You'll wante either a PMC-06, -05, or -07 cause they have the optical fader (with adjustable curve for the cuts :) ). However, there have been some other nice mixers arriving on the scene lately that are also damn good and have better fader cut-in then Vestax. Still, Vestax has the proven champ over the years. I have a PMC-06 and I love it! Check out www.turntablelab.com.

• Members

I've seen alot of the 'old and wise' big names swear by rane's scratch mixers, and I hear that the crafsmanship is alot more reliable, in a 25 year technics sort of way. I don't know from personal experience, however. Agreed on the shure cartridge. as for the turntables, if you watch the movie scratch, you'll notice that the guys like qbert and mixmaster mike are using vestax pdx-2000s at home and for recording, rather than the technics 1200s. I kinda think these guys are gods of the scratch world, and though I don't necessarily care what they SAY is better, I trust what I see them using when they're doing what they do.

• Members

you dont need two sound sources...

you only need two sound sources if you want to beat juggle or cue up sounds on the other turntable if like in a battle or in a live situation..

at which point u have to be Ambidextrous which takes aloooooooooooong time especially if you have a biased hand.

But as a beginner you will probably need two just two figure out which way your more comfortable with..

and its better to have two anyway.

when you a beginner also you can get away with a cheaper direct drive turntable..

But i suggest dont go really cheap on the mixer.

If you want a really smooth fader nice for cuttin check out the stanton sk battle range i have a stanton sk 6f .. the fader is superb.

Archived