Comparison, I need some help.

TamaDrummer0

• Members

Your all prolly going to kill me, but I have a mic question. Please help me out.

I saved up some money and I'm trying to figure out which mic set I sould get.

This one is a 6 set. And has 3 tom/snare mics, 1 bass drum condenser, 2 over heads. I like the idea of the over heads. And I have a 5 pc kit. Could I put one tom mic over my two rack toms, and use the other 2 mics for my floor tom and snare?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Audix-Fusion-Series-6-Piece-Drum-Microphone-Pack-101278133-i1126708.gc

Heres a 7 peice set.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/CAD-Premium-7-Piece-Drum-Microphone-Pack-271264-i1126882.gc

And heres a 4 pc Shure package.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Shure-PG-4-Piece-Drum-Microphone-Package-270297-i1126560.gc

I like the Shure rep and quality, but is four enough for a 5pc, ride, 2 crash, hats, and china?

Could you please tell me if the qaulity/exp's you've had or heard about them? You don't know how much this would help me.

• Members

If you must buy a pre-packaged set, the Shure is best of the 3 you list, with Audix a reasonably close 2nd. The Cad sets are a "value" item, if you know what I mean.

EV just released a set that will kill them all, but that potency is reflected in the price.

• Members

2 to 3 mics should give you a great sound. I would rather spend the money on 2 overheads, that way you are getting nice stuff.

Hmmm, very true. So maybe I'll get the Shure. Use the bass drum, 1 mic on snare, 1 mic on two rack toms, 1 mic on floor. And I'll get two overheads soon. Now, I'm pretty sure the overheads can wait a bit if I don't get them imediatly right?

• Members

While I'm a Shure fan, a buddy of mines (who's a teenager like you, and limited in $$$) uses Audix and I have to say I like them a lot - they'd be an excellent choice.

I'd recommend NOT trying to use one mic on two toms - you WON'T be able to get one mic to pick them both up evenly...

You can really get by with three mics. That's two overheads (for stereo effect!), plus one in the kick and you're probably good. If you're going for a fourth mic, then put it on the snare and you'll be able to pull the snare up in the mix a little bit (but it'll come through strong on the overheads too).

As I've learned first-hand, recording drums is a whole animal all by itself - start simple before you bury yourself in microphones (and need a more expensive recording/mixing outfit too).

Keep in mind a lot of the classic songs were recorded with a three-mic setup too! :thu:

kestrou

• Members

While I'm a Shure fan, a buddy of mines (who's a teenager like you, and limited in $$$) uses Audix and I have to say I like them a lot - they'd be an excellent choice.

I'd recommend NOT trying to use one mic on two toms - you WON'T be able to get one mic to pick them both up evenly...

You can really get by with three mics. That's two overheads (for stereo effect!), plus one in the kick and you're probably good. If you're going for a fourth mic, then put it on the snare and you'll be able to pull the snare up in the mix a little bit (but it'll come through strong on the overheads too).

As I've learned first-hand, recording drums is a whole animal all by itself - start simple before you bury yourself in microphones (and need a more expensive recording/mixing outfit too).

Keep in mind a lot of the classic songs were recorded with a three-mic setup too!
:thu:

kestrou

Hmmm, that changes my whole point of view now...

• Members

Hmmm, that changes my whole point of view now...

That's why you came here - right?! :idea:

Do some googling for what they call the "XY pattern" for drum overheads and start there - then you can also google for "recorderman" who details an alternate neat setup. I mention those because you need to be sure your mics are "in phase" - you can't just stick some mics up in the air over your drums and get a good sound. :)

Another tip - when you record, be sure and drape a big blanket over your bass drum to help isolate that mic from as much of the other drums as possible. If you can get your hands on one of those big super-heavy U-Haul moving blankets, that would be great.

kestrou

• Members

That's why you came here - right?!
:idea:

Do some googling for what they call the "XY pattern" for drum overheads and start there - then you can also google for "recorderman" who details an alternate neat setup. I mention those because you need to be sure your mics are "in phase" - you can't just stick some mics up in the air over your drums and get a good sound.
:)

Another tip - when you record, be sure and drape a big blanket over your bass drum to help isolate that mic from as much of the other drums as possible. If you can get your hands on one of those big super-heavy U-Haul moving blankets, that would be great.

kestrou

Wow, man your amazing.

• Members

Wow, man your amazing.

Not by any means, brother - just remember that "the expert" compared to "the novice" is just the guy that's done it ONCE! :lol:

Now pick up a VERY simple setup with three (OK, maybe four mics if you really want) and you can keep yourself amused for at least six months.

I keep thinking I'll start mic'ing each tom, but have never needed to go that far myself.

kestrou

• Members

Not by any means, brother - just remember that "the expert" compared to "the novice" is just the guy that's done it ONCE!
:lol:

Now pick up a VERY simple setup with three (OK, maybe four mics if you really want) and you can keep yourself amused for at least six months.

I keep thinking I'll start mic'ing each tom, but have never needed to go that far myself.

kestrou

So, overheads, bass, and MAYBE snare?

Any products you wish to share?

• Members

So, overheads, bass, and MAYBE snare?

Any products you wish to share?

Exactly: Two overheads plus One bass - and MAYBE snare.

Again, I'm just a guy who's been playing around a little bit - but the XY pattern MAY need a snare mic (since you don't have a mic pointing right at the snare) - whereas the "Recorderman" setup may NOT (since it's pretty much dead center of the cardoid pattern of both overheads). My recommendation: try them both and see what you like - takes no time at all to move the mics, play the same song again, and then see what you prefer.

There's a LOT of products out there - microphones, digital-audio-workstation (DAW) software, and interface boards (USB or FireWire) to time them together.

I'm not an expert in ANY of those, and even if self-proclaimed-experts jump in you'll get answers all over the map (kind of "Ford Vs. Chevy") as people just say what they're familiar with.

So... I'll say what I'm familiar with! :) I'm using Shure mics, Cubase/LE for the software, and an Alesis MultiMix-16 Firewire for the inputs. Won't claim it's the best setup on the planet, but it more than handles the noodling around I do.

Hopefully you'll now get some differing opinions in this thread and then you can wade through the options that work and find something in your budget - Santa's coming soon you know! ;)

kestrou

• Members

I have a whole set of drum mics and find myself hooking them up and recording, but later deleting the tom tracks cause I don't need them. The overheads do a fine job as is.

I do like a condenser pointing at the snares though for that crispness but could live without it...

So 2 overheads, 1 snare, and a good kick mic would be sweet..

Archived