Anybody live in or around Atlanta??

Magnet182

• Members

I am moving to Atlanta in a few months to go to school at the Atlanta Institute of Music. Just wondering if anyone is from there or lives there now and could tell me a little about the area. I will probably end up living in Norcross actually, since that is where the school is really located. I want to get to know the area as much as possible before I actually move. What's the music scene like? Good clubs? Nice areas, bad areas? Cost of living? Traffic? Public transportation? Good jobs? Any info at all would be great. Thanks.

• Members

I live in Atlanta, in a neighborhood sandwiched between Little 5 Points and East Atlanta - two hubs for the 'alternative' crowd here in town. As a musician, you'll probably spend a lot of time in the clubs in this area.

Music scene is decent. Some good local rock bands, lots of indie-ish bands. Used to be a lot of Americana/Country going on here but that scene's dwindling. Good clubs catch most any touring act. I saw The Datsuns in the same week as Earl Scruggs. I saw Neil Diamond at Phillips Arena and then turned around to see Dokken at the Riviera the same night. Mastodon rules. Nashville {censored} rocks ass, and are the nicest people around.

Traffic is horrible, especially in the 'burbs. Or getting TO the 'burbs. Luckily, I think AIM is mostly night classes so you will miss a lot of it.

Cost of living is tolerable but on the rise. MUCH less than other major cities, but it's steadily risen in the 8 years I've lived here. It used to be dirt cheap - lots of bands had their home bases here and toured all the time.

All in all, I really like Atlanta. The people, once you get to know 'em, are the best aspect of this town. And everyone I know (with one exception) that moved away from the ATL has moved back. It's a running joke around us in-towners.

Feel free to e-mail me for more info.

Archived