Older DW Collectors Series v. Newer Pearl Masters

jlindquist

• Members

One more opinion:

I have owned a Pearl Masters Custom 5 pc. lacquer finish kit, which I sold to a friend, and I currently own two dw Collector's Series kits, a 4 pc. wrapped kit (circa 2008) and a 5 pc. Ebony Satin Oil w/ black hardware (circa 2005).

The only major difference I heard between the Pearl and the dw is that the dw seems to resonate with less striking force than the Pearl did. It's not a huge difference, but since I play a lot of lower volume gigs, it made a difference to me.

When I played them moderately loud, the Pearls sounded great, as do my dw's.

Since your son is motivated and talented enough, I think you could get him either kit, and he would make either one sound just fine!

...oh, and don't be concerned about the notch in the bass drum hoop.

$0.02

• Members

You have an excellent outlook on this and I think its commendable. Usually its the other way around with kids not getting nearly as much support as you're giving. Cool stuff !

Oh, and BTW, its not the VSX, its the VMX. The maple shelled kits really do sound damn good. Not that the VSX kits are bad, because they also are decent, but the VMX kits really are quite nice.

Do you guys have a decent "real" drum shop within a reasonable driving distance? It would well serve you to take a little drive out to have him get a chance to sit behind some of the offerings in your price range from Pearl, Tama, Mapex, Yamaha, DW, etc.

At the very least, it will give him an idea of what he really wants since this will be a big purchase and will likely be the kit he's behind for the next several years.

Thanks for all of the thoughtful comments (some obviously more thoughtful than others:rolleyes:)

The DW is a 5 piece (22 x 18 BD, 16 x 13 FT, 14 x 11 FT, 12 x 9 TT, 10 x 8 TT) with two DW 9000-series double tom holders. No other hardware. No snare. Asking price on that is $1,800. I am told the born-on date is 2/5/98. Anybody know whether that would be the Keller shells (and I assume that is a good thing?)? Also, the seller guy did provide some additional info regarding the wear and tear, and tells me that the previous owner apparently cut some kind of "notch" in one of the BD hoops, apparently to accommodate his BD pedal. Seller says this was "obviously a knucklehead move," but does not affect tone or function. Is that something we should be terribly concerned about?

The Pearl has a 22 x 20 BD, four toms (basically same size as the DW kit) and a Pork Pie steel snare for $1,600. He's asking an additional $500 for the hardware (apparently PDP stuff).

I appreciate the tip on the Pearl VSX stuff, and will encourage him to give that a try.

Any other comments based on this additional info would be greatly appreciated.

Also, FWIW -- I certainly understand this is a significant amount of $ to spend on a kit for a kid. I can appreciate that some will think it is overkill at best, foolish at worst. Maybe so. But the kid has done his time on his entry-level Ludwig kit, has done his homework on a new kit, and is willing to buy used to get a quality instrument.

Moreover, I don't know how many of you have had the pleasure of raising teenagers, but my wife and I look at the situation this way: the kid's passion for playing drums and playing with his band has been an extremely positive (albeit very noisy!) outlet for all of his teenage energy, which might otherwise be spent on many less productive or desirable pursuits. It is something we want to continue to encourage and something we (and he) are willing to invest in.

Thanks again for all of the great posts.

• Members

Thanks for the continued good responses.

$1600 seems a bit much for a used Masters. Can't you get a NEW 4pc MCX for around that?.

Yeah, I think you can, but this kit does include the second FT and the PorkPie snare, and also soft cases (think I forgot to mention that before). Does that change your opinion significantly?

Do you guys have a decent "real" drum shop within a reasonable driving distance? It would well serve you to take a little drive out to have him get a chance to sit behind some of the offerings in your price range from Pearl, Tama, Mapex, Yamaha, DW, etc.

At the very least, it will give him an idea of what he really wants since this will be a big purchase and will likely be the kit he's behind for the next several years.

Excellent advice, and yes, we have the Ellis Drum Shop close by in Minneapolis. I think the kid made a trip there a while back, but that was before we were really ready to buy. A return trip would be a good idea. Thanks.

• Members

Yeah, since you have a good shop nearby, DEFINITELY take advantage of that. He may find something that really just "works" for him that he wouldn't even have considered. At the very least he'll get to try out some different equipment to help in the decision.

Plus if you end up finding the "one" there, play a little hardball and let them know you've been looking at buying used kits locally.

Have fun ;)

• Members

Thanks for the continued good responses.

$1600 seems a bit much for a used Masters. Can't you get a NEW 4pc MCX for around that?

Yeah, I think you can, but this kit does include the second FT and the PorkPie snare, and also soft cases (think I forgot to mention that before). Does that change your opinion significantly?

Excellent advice, and yes, we have the Ellis Drum Shop close by in Minneapolis. I think the kid made a trip there a while back, but that was before we were really ready to buy. A return trip would be a good idea. Thanks.

Yeah, sweetens the deal a little bit i guess. I'd prefer around $1300. IF he bought that {censored} ten years ago i'm sure he didn't pay near that. So don't feel bad if you want to grind him.

Honestly, there's alot of great kits in that range. Usually used is the way to go, but if you have that kind of coin to drop, and it'll be his last kit for a very long time, i'd go new and let him pick something out more specific towards his tastes ala finishes and sizes.

Although, if you stay patient, for that dough you can find a VERY high end kit used. Keep checking ebay and ask us if you don't know what you're looking at. I know for a FACT that a new USA made Ludwig Classic maple can be had for a little over your budget NEW, let alone used.

Tell him to really think over what finishes and sizes he wants. Small fusion kit? 1 rack and two big floors with a 24" bass rock kit? For this kind of dough, you've got options.

• Members

$1600 seems a bit much for a used Masters.

That depends on the year. Pearl has only recently started calling their Masters Customs, "Masters Customs." It's basically the same thing as the "Session" line, which it replaced.

If it's pre-07 (08? maybe), it's the same thing as Masters Premium; it just now has a differrent name.

So depending on the condition, year, and size of the kit, $1,600 could be a very reasonable price.

• 4 months later...
  • Members

Ignorant guitar-playing dad is assisting talented and committed 16-year-old drummer in moving up to a quality kit.

He is currently considering a couple of used offerings. First is a DW Collectors Series, maple shells, Ebony Satin Oil finish, gold hardware. This kit is 10 years old. Have not seen/played it yet, but offered as very good condition, with "normal wear/tear."

Second is a 2008 Pearl Masters MCX. Also maple, but with a wrap. This kit is offered basically "as new." Asking prices are similar for both kits.

Of course, the eyes and ears of the beholder will be most important here (he is hoping to give both kits a work out this week), but any thoughts on these two kits? Comparisons/contrasts? Long-term investment/resale? Things we should look for when inspecting/auditioning these kits?

Thanks!

I'd go for the masters kit. Here's a pearl masters review that covers the sound, quailty etc.

• Members

One tounges the balls while the other works the shaft. I want a 3 headed Bjork so while this is taking place she can do that {censored}ed up Icelandic yodeling {censored}.

God, that's funny. The guitarist Dad has received more advice than he bargained for. Great post.:thu::lol:

Back to drums. My 2 cents. You've done a good job being a Dad and encouraging your son and he has responded. You've got the dough, take him shopping and let him pick out a brand new kit that he loves within your price range. He'll never forget it and he'll never stop playing.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived