Finally, practice is fun

Miskatonic

• Members

Almost all my practice time is spent on learning to play heels-up.

I now detest practice.

I haven't got to the point of practicing the kick pedal yet. Once I get comfortable with the basic rudiments on the snare, as well as being able to keep time and keep the sound of my strokes consistent, I'll add the hi-hat and bass drum into the mix. I don't have the cash to get the kit I want right now, nor do I have a place to practice at full volume.

• Members

That's a good way to start. :thu:

It's just frustrating for me because I play heels down VERY well, but I can't even keep straight 16ths consistent on a double pedal heels up. My hi-hat work is better, but my band plays metal, so... not much of that.

• Members

Practice should be fun most of the time. Or enough for you to not practice enough because of time constraints. If it's not you should stop or practice some other technique or thing that's more fun.

• Members

The only issue I have is keeping my fulcrum from slipping up or down the stick while practicing. I'm probably going to buy some Vater Grip Tape to remedy this. My hands sweat quickly so after 5-10 straight minutes of practicing rebound strokes at varying BPM, I have to grab a towel and wipe off the sweat.

Given I do a lot of grip strength work as part of my weightlifting, whether it be crushing, pinching, finger strength or what have you, it has helped with stick control and endurance while practicing. I'm now starting to work on using French Grip to practice using the fingertips to get the speed up. The right hand is coming along but the left is having a clumsy go at it.

• Members

Good for you , by the time you buy toms you'll be a force to reckon with.

One of my former teachers learned to play kit bit by bit , that matched with some crazy skill resulted in a very good life in the music biz , you're on a good path , good luck

I certainly hope so. My goal is to be able to play what I write, as well as be able to play at a level that lets me brainstorm new ideas. Right now I've got basic concepts down and the drum tracks I'm writing are more of a creative experiment without any real rhyme or reason other than it sounds good to me and has a little flash here and there.

The goal is the same for guitar playing as well, and eventually bass guitar. I have no aspirations of making a career out of it, more of a serious hobby/creative outlet.

• Members

Today was an epic success! I got frustrated with my attempts at heels-up, so I started just playing as hard and fast as I could with each foot until my legs BURNED, and kept on going. When I stopped, I could control solid 16ths at about 140-150 bpm. I repeated the process for about an hour in an effort to keep my new found ability.

Now I'm sweating like a pig and I can twitch my legs crazy fast (while standing), but it's worth it.

I just felt like sharing that. :)

• Members

I started out playing heels down; it didn't occur to me until I started playing shows that heels up has some advantages to make up for the lack of control.

I think I'm building up the right muscles, though.

• Members

I started out playing heels down; it didn't occur to me until I started playing shows that heels up has some advantages to make up for the lack of control.

I think I'm building up the right muscles, though.

Repetition of movements and the body adapting to them. :)

That's why I play rebound strokes for 10 minutes straight per hand as part of my practice.

Archived