Help expand the snare collection

ptcyclist

• Members

Hey all. I've got a quick question for the helpful folks here regarding snare drum choices. I currently have a 13x5 Omar Hakim snare (medium-medium tight tension on both heads) and the 14x6.5 Taye snare (usually with batter tuned a bit lower than the Omar) that came with my Tour Pro set. I like the 13" size, seems easier to minimize or totally eliminate snare buzz yet still get a good sound.

I'm looking to add another snare to give me a little different range of sounds. With those two drums, both wood but one a bit shallower, what other type of drum would you consider adding? Lots of choices...13x7, metal (and what type), the standby of either an acrolite or a supra, or something different. I've been considering a Pearl Free floater, maybe in copper; that way I could always just get another shell the next time I think about expanding. I know this kind of choice comes down to "what sound am I looking for" but I know some of you have numerous snare to choose from; guess I'm looking for a bit more variety.

Thanks.

• Members

I tended to use snares like yours that had a lot of crack to them. Then I added a 14x8 Yamaha Recording Custom snare. It sounds like a 250 LB dog barking. Phenomenal sound for classic rock or hard rock with a classic rock influence. Nice weapon to have in the arsenal...especially for recording.

Archived