Power Piccolos

jdrummys

• Members

Please recommed me a deep piccolo. I like the comfort of a 13 in. snare, but I want a fatter backbeat than my Pearl picollo gives me. I play everything from Tool to acoustic classic rock, so I need something versatile and not necessarily overpowering. Ive narrowed it down so far to the Pearl Joey Jordison signature 13 x 6.5, the Mapex Black panther Cherry Wood 13 x 6, and this little number I found on Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Custom-Bentleys-Drum-Shop-7-x-13-steel-snare-drum_W0QQitemZ160345101071QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item255550130f&_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

• Members

Please recommed me a deep piccolo. I like the comfort of a 13 in. snare, but I want a fatter backbeat than my Pearl picollo gives me. I play everything from Tool to acoustic classic rock, so I need something versatile and not necessarily overpowering. Ive narrowed it down so far to the Pearl Joey Jordison signature 13 x 6.5, the Mapex Black panther Cherry Wood 13 x 6, and this little number I found on Ebay.

I have the Pearl steel piccolo snare, too. I tune mine on the medium-low side, pitch wise, and it gives me a nice fat sound. Of course, you have to rimshot the backbeat when you tune this low.

I've had other drummers comment on how they like that sound, and ask how I get it. I tell them what I just told you!

try that before buying a new snare.

• Members

I strongly recommend the Mapex Black Panther Cherry/Maple snare. You can usually snag one for pretty cheap on ebay or something. I think they'll match the versatility you're looking for. I'm currently playing one with a wood hoop. It can be nice and warm/punchy when tuned low, but also a nice satisfying crack when tuned tighter. But I might be a bit biased since I haven't spent any time with the other snares you listed.

Archived