Drum set

jskpongoui

• Members

:wave:

I play music similar to this

very ambient kind of stuff...

I made a thread a while back and someone reccomended this set: unfortunately it is a bit too expensive

http://www.zzounds.com/item--GRECCJ484

Is there a set I can find that will suit me well for the music I play that is UNDER 500.. or even preferably under 400.

and is there a cymbal that you guys could recommend will give me very glittery, shimmering tones

Thanks guys

• Members

If the $400 is JUST the set, talk with your local drum shop. They might be able to sell you that set for the price, they might have a used one, or they might know of another set that would suit you just as well. There's also Craigslist, Sam Ash and Guitard Center's scratch and dents and used, and ebay. Look around :thu:.

• Members

For the kind of stuff you want to play, practically any kit (with proper tuning/dampening) will do. Unfortunately cymbals are a different matter. A crappy cymbals is always a crappy cymbal, and with the type of music you play to the specific sound of your cymbals really stands out. I'd go with some good hand hammered cymbals... Ks, HHs, etc. Look for deals and used cymbals, start out with one or two good ones and build on it.

• Members

For the kind of stuff you want to play, practically any kit (with proper tuning/dampening) will do. Unfortunately cymbals are a different matter. A crappy cymbals is always a crappy cymbal, and with the type of music you play to the specific sound of your cymbals really stands out. I'd go with some good hand hammered cymbals... Ks, HHs, etc. Look for deals and used cymbals, start out with one or two good ones and build on it.

Alright thanks, do you have any reccomendations for heads and or dampeners for my music style?

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members
I don't like e kits
:(

well unless you're ?uestlove's cousin you're going to have a hell of a time getting those sounds out of acoustic drums. especially an off the rack kit. if you want that sound, seriously, program the drums. playing grooves like those is no easy task. unless you're ?uestlove's cousin.

• Members

Look into dream bliss 24" rides, that should give you the wash you'd need. As far as drums go, hows your craigs list?

I'm really confused by craigs list, to be honest... I don't really know how to use it

(sorry, I'm only 13)

I will talk to my parents about that.

I have a set I picked up from a garage sale for 100 bucks...

it's a revere set... :confused:

anyway, I'll just use it for a while, I have some moongel dampening things ill stick on em and play around with that.

I will look into buying one of those bliss cymbals :love:

and I am going to {censored} around with just sticking cans and scrap metal and stuff together and see what sounds I can come up with using a ball pean hammer on em.

anyway, thanks for the help guys!

• Members

Look into dream bliss 24" rides, that should give you the wash you'd need. As far as drums go, hows your craigs list?

I'm really confused by craigs list, to be honest... I don't really know how to use it

(sorry, I'm only 13)

I will talk to my parents about that.

I have a set I picked up from a garage sale for 100 bucks...

it's a revere set... :confused:

anyway, I'll just use it for a while, I have some moongel dampening things ill stick on em and play around with that.

I will look into buying one of those bliss cymbals :love:

and I am going to {censored} around with just sticking cans and scrap metal and stuff together and see what sounds I can come up with using a ball pean hammer on em.

anyway, thanks for the help guys!

Archived