OT: Funny in a " it's come to this?" kinda way

• Members

Colleges stay in business by convincing the world you're {censored} without a diploma (even though plenty of idiots have college degrees). This broad learned the hard way that the industry of education is a crock of {censored} and a total lie. If i was the judge, i'd give her the full sum, under the condition that she be stripped of her diploma. After all, if you return a faulty product, you don't get the refund AND the faulty product.

Then again, i'm an asshole.

No your not, your a realist CEM. For your age, you are very enlightened in many ways, more than you know right now. I completely agree with you.

I never went to college. I could have, but told my Dad I'd rather work. I've regretted that decision over the years, but at 18 I was one smart SOB:rolleyes:

I've worked construction jobs and excelled as far as I could in the field. I "fell" into the Safety and Health field through one of my brothers. Luckily, I took to it and I get it. I understand the law, and know it as well as any other CSP (certified safety professional), or the safety person with a masters in safety and health out of say WVU. I'm not an I.H. (Industrial Hygienist), but I know what I need to know about it. And fortunately, I've done pretty well. But I did it through perseverance and hard friggin' work. I also consider myself leaps and bounds above many that do hold those degrees and have a virtual alphabet of letters after their names on their business cards. I'll tell ya why. They learned the law and the safety by reading a book and taking tests and such. I worked in the construction and general industry fields so I have practical knowledge of what will work and what won't in all circumstances. the working environment is not a perfect, never changing world. In construction, situations can abruptly change in seconds. My job is that I make sure each and every worker goes home with all their parts, and they go home period!

That chick from Slap's OP needs to get Mommy's tit out of her mouth and grow up.

And to each of you going to collage, my hat is off to you. Just be practical about life and work in general. Listen to the one's with experience. You have a lot you can learn from us geezers that we're more than willin to teach you if you remain teachable.

Sorry for the rant guys.

marko

• Members

Good rant, marko, but it is a fairly simple issue.

You received your education from hands-on experience. Some other guy received an education in college. That guy still needs the hands-on experience. The general idea (in my opinion) is that his book-learning will accelerate his hands-on education. There is NO substitute for actual work experience.

The problem arises when asswipes graduate from college and think they know everything about everything, when actually they do not know {censored} because they have never had to react to a serious situation.

Also, common sense seems to be inversely related to douchebaggery. The bigger the douchebag, the less common sense.

• Members
How do you have time to post when you just got a killer kit? That's like someone coming to post here after they just discovered sex!

Get back on it!

Cuz I'm at my damn day job!! :mad:

Trust me, I'm gonna tune that baby up as soon as I get home! :thu::love:

• Members

All good points IMO. You can learn a lot from books and being in the classroom, but people sometimes forget that you can learn just as much, if not more, from working in the field itself.

Yes very good point, and exactly why I say we need to bring back the value of a high school diploma.

I'm actually a high school drop out, started working, and had a family to support while most people were going to a school dance and getting laid for the first time.. I have nothing but hands on experience, and if it wasn't for the good people that took a chance on a once young man, that worked hard, and had determination, I wouldn't have gotten anywhere.

No not getting rich, but always had better jobs than my brother who had a degree, and the wife who also has a degree, and my friends who went to community collage. The economy took a dump, everything closed down and laid people off, a degree wouldn't have saved me from that, and I would still be paying off tuition today..

You give me some hands on training, and I can do anything... I am self educated, not uneducated.. Some people just don't thrive with books, and school work, some people don't learn that way, our minds don't work the same, we are individuals. Sorry for the rant..

• Members

It is only getting worse! Every little peckerhead at the ballpark has to get a trophy to feel special! What happened to earning your {censored}ing keep! I helped out my neices fiance with a job and that {censored}er wanted to start out at top pay with a truck! NOT!:mad:

• Members

Another example of how our youth-driven/youth-centric American culture has given the young a false sense of entitlement. "Hey, I deserve this just because. . ."

My advice to the girl? Shut up, go flip burgers or clean out a chickenhouse or dig a ditch if that's what you gotta do. Perhaps it's not the diplomma keeping you from gainful employment. . .maybe it's b/c you're a whiney bitch. . and really, who want's to work w/ a whiney bitch?

• Members

I really didn't want to get involved in this but it just bugged me. I have a BA Degree as well as enough credits to get my Masters. I've never expected to be guaranteed anything. I've worked my butt off during my 72 years.

There were times when I worked two jobs to keep my family going. I've been laid off numerous times when the economy went bad. When I was out of work, I took any job that I could get. Jobs where my education didn't mean spit. I drove a cab in NYC when jobs were scarce. I worked as a gardener at a local city college. I took a job at night stuffing financial information into envelopes on Wall Street. I did what I had to do. Higher education is good but it doesn't owe you a thing. There are no guarantees in this life. This gal needs to get a clue. :mad:

Archived