Drum set question Big vs small drums

lalapancakes

• Members

So I've had my PDP CX Series drumset for a couple of years now. It's a maple drumset. I have a custom snare drum. For a while now I have not liked the sound of drumset even when I take hours to tune it. I don't like the sound.

Here I'll tell you my sizes but I'm terrible at measuring and did a quick measure. Maybe I'll edit my post later if I measure it more accuratly

Bass: 22x16 (or 17)

Snare: 14x6

Hightom: 10x8

Midtom: 12x10

Lowtom: 14x12

Also another thing I really don't like about my drumset is my bass. It is to big, so my toms have to be angled towards me. I can't just have the toms completely flat. I like having them flat way more because I can move around the drumset way more quickly without accidently hitting a rim. I've tried everything I can but I can't lower my toms anymore then they are at now or else they'll hit the bass drum. If I had a smaller bass this wouldn't be an issue.

Now my snare is another thing I don't like. I wish I could tell you the model of it but unfortunatly it doesn't say the model on it. It is a ludwig 14x6 snare drum and it is made out of brass I think or cobalt. If I figure out what metal my snare drum is made out of I will edit my post.

My question is, is there any website that shows pro's and con's of small drums vs big drums or what genre of music is sounds better with a big drums or small drums. Like I know big bass drums are good for metal and heavy rock. Surprizingly I looked on google and couldn't find any articles.

What are your guys opinions. Do you like small drums or big drums? Birch or Maple? Explain in detail why and what genre goes good with it.

Now I'm not giving you guys my opinion of what drums I like. Because quite honestly I feel like a teenage girl right now with drums. I don't know exactly what I want. But what I do want to know is your guys opinions and what drums are good with what genre as I have said before.

If you would like to know I have been playing drums for 7 years now and I like to play every genre of music because I like to expand my knowledge of music and drum playing then fuse it all together when I play.

• Members

Heads are a big factor of what you're hearing, what are you using? A 22" kick feels big to me but I primarily use an 18" for jazz and all around in my home space , a 20" for the rock group. Don't get an 18" if you're primarily playing rock, it works but not as well as a 20". I prefer smaller drums for jazz, and I like a 22" for rock but don't really care for anything bigger. I also dig smaller toms, I dislike 16+ floors. Even on a rock set I prefer a 14x14 floor.

• Members

It could also be the room that you're in.

There is also a big difference in the sound of the drums when you're hearing them from in front of the drumset (like the audience) and when you're sitting behind them.

I wouldn't get hung up on it too much.

• Members

Get bigger drums. My current setup uses a 14x26 kick, 6.5"x14 and 8x14 snares, a 12x15 small tom, and 3 floor toms....14x15, 16x16,16x18. I am only 5'10" tall and my arms are average length, I'm somewhat fat so my mobility isn't that great anymore from left to right. Yet, I still find this setup comfortable and everything is set pretty flat. You need better stands, or a rack, or something. Its easy to make big drums sound smaller, but very hard to make small drums sound bigger. I'll never go back to small drums again. You should post some pics of the set, and you'll undoubtedly get more informed pointers about some options for mounting the drums for more ergonomics. The other thing with big drums is, you don't have to worry about hitting rims, no matter what the angle they are set at.

• Members

So I've had my PDP CX Series drumset for a couple of years now. It's a maple drumset. I have a custom snare drum. For a while now I have not liked the sound of drumset even when I take hours to tune it. I don't like the sound.

Hey I had the same problem as you with the tom thing, that's why i switched to playing a 4 piece (can't go back either) with just one tom on the left side of the bass drum, you should try setting it up like that (people usually take the 12 but taking a 10 wouldnt be crazy) be sure to move in the ride so you fall in love hahah. And if that's still too tall for you you could switch to playing a 20" like i do.

• Members

Post pics of your set up man, mybe we can help with some ideas..

Best thing I can recommend right now is take the toms off the kick, try playing 4 piece with 12 incher on the snare stand. As far as tone. Get ya some new heads, and learn where the sweet spot is on them to make them sing, take a day and play around with them and find that sweet spot.

• Members

Heads will make a big difference in your sound and volume. How low you sit will also come into play on tom arrangement.Like said before in front of your kit will sound different, have a friend play and stand in front. Are those the FAST sized toms? Depth will give you more boom in the same sized tom.

• Members

I have a PDP FS series set which is Birch but also about same sizes as yours. I have Evans EC1 batter and Evans G1 coated resonant heads and like the sound I get from mine. Evans EC2 over clear G1 would likely be a good combo as well. I'm only 5'8". My avatar shows my previous setup without the rack but tom angles are still about the same as in that photo.

• Members

I have a PDP FS series set which is Birch but also about same sizes as yours. I have Evans EC1 batter and Evans G1 coated resonant heads and like the sound I get from mine. Evans EC2 over clear G1 would likely be a good combo as well. I'm only 5'8". My avatar shows my previous setup without the rack but tom angles are still about the same as in that photo.

I have the same drums :thu:EC2's over EC resos,also like the sound

• Members

I just wanted to chime in on the whole "bass drum being too big to make my toms perfectly flat" thing. Try raising your throne a bit, and then raising your snare. If you do that, you'll find you have more room to angle your toms whichever way you prefer (although I do recommend about a 30 degree tilt myself) and the bass drum won't get in your way.

• Members

Wait, I just re-read the OP. What kind of person plays with flat flat toms? That's just weird.

Check out almost all of the gospel / hip-hop style drummers- flat toms.

My Saturns are big. With 24"x20" Kick(s), and my largest MT being a 13"x11" there's no way I could play any flatter then like Thomas said, 30 degrees. I have new racks now, and I'm hoping to get a more ergonomical set-up configured. I have enough rack tubes and clamps of every sort to rack three kits.

Also, selection of heads and correct tuning has a HUGE impact. Try different reso/batter configurations. Find your "sweet" spot with your batter, then try reso higher, the same, lower. It's amazing the difference you hear. The key is finding that sweet spot though. Yea, all drums can be tuned high/low and sound OK. But nail it at it's comfort zone and it will sing to ya.

• Members

Check out almost all of the gospel / hip-hop style drummers- flat toms.

My Saturns are big. With 24"x20" Kick(s), and my largest MT being a 13"x11" there's no way I could play any flatter then like Thomas said, 30 degrees. I have new racks now, and I'm hoping to get a more ergonomical set-up configured. I have enough rack tubes and clamps of every sort to rack three kits.

Also, selection of heads and correct tuning has a HUGE impact. Try different reso/batter configurations. Find your "sweet" spot with your batter, then try reso higher, the same, lower. It's amazing the difference you hear. The key is finding that sweet spot though. Yea, all drums can be tuned high/low and sound OK. But nail it at it's comfort zone and it will sing to ya.

I don't want to get into another {censored}storm here, but I'd put MOST gospel/hip-hop drums into the same category as travis barker.

EDIT: I've played on a kit with flat RTs before, it was completely non-ergonomic. And the guy who owns it generally plays the same style: really loud, a lot of arm, and not much technique.

• Members

Wait, shouldn't you be at the drum jam? That IS today, isn't it?

Nope, next week man. As a matter of fact, I have to get the hell off of here and run 30 mile south to pick-up all the cymbals I have down there, (Blues Band) snares, pedals, throne for BD, stands for BD, HH for BD, two mains, and a crown head for the PA. So, I gotta split.

Later

• Members

Not gonna get into a {censored} storm dude. But, I have to say some of them have some pretty killer chops and grooves, although a little bit too much flash for me. And I agree, it is all arms, or a lot of arms. I prefer wrist, fingers and then arms personally.

And, I dislike Barker also. l don't care for his style, but I have to admit it's his personality and ego that truly rubs me wrong.

Nope, next week man. As a matter of fact, I have to get the hell off of here and run 30 mile south to pick-up all the cymbals I have down there, (Blues Band) snares, pedals, throne for BD, stands for BD, HH for BD, two mains, and a crown head for the PA. So, I gotta split.

Later

I'm not sure about the groove; I don't really listen to that music enough to know what to look for, but what I've seen of "gospel chops" has left me pretty unimpressed. And I agree COMPLETELY on wrist/fingers/arms.

Archived