Need advice on buying electronic drums to play with computer (drumkit from hell etc)

tackle

• Members

So, I have this dream of selling my old beat up Premier kit and buying electric drums. I would then connect the drums to my computer and play sounds through my DAW, such as Superior drummer etc.

To avoid high costs (since I'm quite low on money) I'm thinking I'll buy the drumkit stand/frame locally, then hunt on ebay for pads. I wont be buying a sound module since I'll only use my computer for sounds. I'm in Sweden, which is why I want to buy the stand/frame locally, so I'll avoid high shipping costs on that.

I'll mainly be using Superior drummer 2.0 and I want to take advantage of all the sound possibilites it offers, but I have no idea what drums to get. All I know is I like the feel of the mesh headed V-drums (the white ones) from Roland.

There's thousands of questions and I don't know what kind of hihat setup to get. Neither snare/tom pads nor cymbal pads as well.

I mentioned I don't want to buy a sound module to avoid high costs. Is that, however, perhaps required to convert the drum signals to midi?

Does anyone here play electric with computer sounds? If so, feel free to give a man some advice on what to get, and perhaps some precautions to take to avoid buying something that I can't use together with the computer.

• Members

I use BFD2 and Superior 2.0 with it's latest expansion and with all of the ezDrummer expansions. I'm using a custom Pintech kit and it works great! It does function better with a module than the Alesis I/O (I've tried both). The I/O is definately lacking when it comes to response!

In terms of which hihat to go with, the two best I've used are the Roland FD8 and the Pintech HyperHat with a stand alone hat. I haven't tried the newer Pintech CMC cymbals or the VH12s with my set-up, so can't offer any opinion either way on them.

I'm also helping Pintech clear out some B stock pads and trade-in pads, so keep me in mind (brian@hopedrums.com) when you start looking around. The lower pricing on the trade-in stuff may be what you're looking for.

Archived