If you had to choose between a 12" or a 13" tom

portnoyfan84

• Members

I always go for the bigger drum, as I find them far more versatile. In my experience, its much easier to make a big drum sound smaller with good tuning then to make a small drum sound bigger. I can always tune it up tighter to raise the pitch, but there is only so low a 12 can go. My 12" toms all have dust on them. (actually my two 13" toms also now have dust, as my smallest tom I regularly use is a 15"x12", followed by 15x14, 16x16, 18x16. ) I can get them to sound big as a mack truck , or small as a yugo or Lada. Versatility is the name of the game these days.

• Members

13" drums are not hard to tune. What makes it difficult is when you have a 12 and 13 on the same drumset and the drums are tuned too close together. Then you get problems with either the 12 being too high or the 13 being too low. As you guys probably already know, drums shells have resonant frequency that they naturally vibrate at. If you can get the drumheads to vibrate at the same (or close to) the resonant frequency of the shell...then the drum is going to be happy. All of this crap about 13s being hard to tune is bull{censored}! You either:

1. don't know how to tune

2. you have a 12-13-16 setup and the 12 and 13s are too close in pitch

Here is what you do...contact a custom drum builder and have them make you a 12 1/2 drum. Then get in touch with a drumhead manufacturer to make you a custom drumhead. Problem solved.

Or....learn how to tune and space your tom intervals out more.

Problem solved.

• Members

12" for me. The Yammys I got had a 10",12" and a 16" and I was thinking 'ehh, I'll just pick up a 14" later' because 10,12,14,16 is what I was used to playing. I'm enjoying the separation of the 12-16 so much I'm thinkin about an 18" addition instead of a 14" now.

Bring the thunder!

• Members

i had a 13x11, never liked the way it sounded so i would use the 12. then i cut two inches off the 13 and cut a 30 degree edge into it and roundover on the outside. sounds amazing now! tunes up real easy and punchy as hell!! can also tune up hi with out being choked.

right after this, i picked up a ludwig standard in 13 16 22 and i got to say they sound great and that 13 is not hard to tune at all.

• Members

i had a 13x11, never liked the way it sounded so i would use the 12. then i cut two inches off the 13 and cut a 30 degree edge into it and roundover on the outside. sounds amazing now! tunes up real easy and punchy as hell!! can also tune up hi with out being choked.

right after this, i picked up a ludwig standard in 13 16 22 and i got to say they sound great and that 13 is not hard to tune at all.

There's something magical about that 30 inner with either a counter cut or round over,meatier sound,wider tuning range and choke free.

• Members

1st Kit - 12", 13",TT 16", & 18" FT. Sonor

2nd kit - 10", 12", 13",TT & 16"FT. Tama

3rd kit - 8", 10", 12", 14",TT & 16"FT.Pacific

I never had a problem with tuning any of my 13" toms. i always tuned mid tension 40 to 65 range, i never liked high tensions on toms, the larger the loos'er, seemed to work for me.

• Members

I think I would go 13"

I like the 12", in fact that's what I have always used when playing with one rack tom, but a few kits I used in rehearsal studios had a 13" & 16" setup and I really dig it. But it has to be the right 13"

With a 12" you can go with just about any depth. With a stand alone 13" I don't think I could use one deeper than 10"...

Archived