Replace the P-85 Strainer with?

xtranoise

• Members

Doing some long range planning for my Supra "updates". I know I can get a new P-85 or the P-86 as direct replacements. I know I can get a Trick with an adapter plate. Are there other "no-drill" options I have overlooked? I would prefer to replace both the throw-off and butt plate with units that accept ribbon and clamp said ribbon with drum key head screws. Best as I can tell, the P-85 does take ribbon now but still uses screws, albeit phillips head rather than slot head, which is an improvement in my opinion. I cannot tell if Ludwig has a new butt plate like the P-32 but with drum head screws. What can you tell me?

• Members

This is possibly a no drill option as well:https://www.drumfoundry.com/p-3476-rck-throwoff-chrome-plated-rckthrow-chr.aspx That is one of the throw options we use. Also, the Dunnett as mentioned above. Both throws have the mounting screws captured in a groove allowing them to be moved up and down the shell which, in addition, allows them to fit other hole patterns. Dunnett is indeed nice but a tad heavy which bothers some. I love the P-86 too though. Great classy looking simple throw.

• Members

This is possibly a no drill option as well:
That is one of the throw options we use. Also, the Dunnett as mentioned above. Both throws have the mounting screws captured in a groove allowing them to be moved up and down the shell which, in addition, allows them to fit other hole patterns. Dunnett is indeed nice but a tad heavy which bothers some. I love the P-86 too though. Great classy looking simple throw.

Thanks for that link. I had looked around Drum Foundry some I think, or at least read about them through a search I did. They actually have an adapter specifically for the Ludwig drums to mount the RCK. I watched the YouTube video they made for installing the adapter. Price wise this one fits between the P-85 and the Trick.

Have you been pleased with the RCK throw offs you have used on the drums you build?

• Members

Have you been pleased with the RCK throw offs you have used on the drums you build?

In a word, yes. Good people over there. We use a lot of the RCK but we also use the p-86 and occasionally the Dunnett and just about whatever else the customer wants.

Too bad you didn't ask this question before the weekend. They had them at 40% off.:facepalm: Black Friday sale (Fri-Sat-Sun).

• Members

xtra, the Dunnett R-class strainer will NOT WORK. The center shell bead on the Supra makes the flat side of the strainer incompatible. I believe the spacing won't go wide enough as well.

I contacted Ronn Dunnett when I wanted an R-class strainer for my anniversary Black Magic snare. It works on that drum because it's an import shell with a generic throw that has the same hole spacing as the Dunnett. Regular P-85 spacing is a lot wider, 2 and a half inches I think.

I replaced the P-85 on my hammered brass Supra with a P-86 and I've been very happy with it -- I think it's a genius design. If you just need a nice new P-85 I have one that's never been used that you could have pretty cheap. PM me for that.

Archived