Mixman dm2--how is it?

crazybilly

• Members

How is the dm2? I don't know jack about mixing/scratching, etc, but I'd like something easy that I could use with my band. Right now, I'm doing the utility player thing: a little aux percussion, a little mandolin, a little guitar, a little keyboard, whatever the song calls for. I'd like to be able to add turntables to that arsenal. . . For $40 can I go wrong with the dm2?

• Members

Is the Dm2 a little turntable peripheral that you hook up to a computer by USB? I think my friend had one of those, so if it's what I'm thinking it is it might not be so bad for $40. It's basically a tool for controlling music on your computer. Say you make a song on Acid or something, you would use the Dm2 to controll which one of the tracks are playing, so you can mix in parts of a song. It also has effects I believe. You could concievably load any sounds onto the program and use it as a way to control samples, drum tracks, synth sounds, whatever.

Just so you know: its more of a toy than an instrument, but if you can get one for $40 and you are into experimenting, it might not be a bad buy. Also check out Live by Abletron. You can download a demo of that that will work for 30 minutes at a time, and it is a professional level application.

• Members

I hope thisisn't too late, but the DM2 is {censored}TY!!!!! You can waste $40 on it, I know cause I did!!!

Basically it plugs into your USB and you use it to control the mixman program. I don't know, maybe if you really like the way mixman works, you will dig it, but I didn't find it particularly musical. Also, I had a hard time getting my own samples to work with the program included with it. I think it tries to drop the samples on what it thinks is the beat, not when you press the button. This is lame because I know the music better than some dumbass program!

It seemed to me that if they wrote good software for it, it would be a good external sample controller. When I used it about a year ago I hated it and haven't tried it since.

• Members

I have one (got at wal-mart, yeehaw). I can say that it's really too expensive to be a toy, but it's too toyish to be used professionally unless...

So, it's up to you. I wish I've tried it for more professional applications to tell you how well it worked, but I haven't. I really think that for a band on a budget, this would make an OK addition. ;)

.: DJRIZZEN :.

• Members

djrizzen,

thanks, man. sorry I didn't respond earlier. life's been crazy, and the fx forum sucks my life away. anyways, I can get recycle (a friend of mine has it and isn't using it) and mixman studio pro (a DIFFERENT friend has that, and once again, isn't using it).

I don't know about the creative part (I suck). but I think this would be a pretty dang fun place to start.

How is recycle for making the .trk's? Pretty easy?

Archived