Give Me Some Feedback...

• Members

I've just finish setting up some "artist pages" for my band at a couple of different websites (our "official site" isn't quite ready). We'd appreciate any comments, feedback, suggestions, etc. We play hard rock similar to Sevendust, Finger11, Chevelle, Our Lady Peace, Hum, etc. The band is Downside Up. Here are the websites:

GarageBand.com - http://www.garageband.com/artist/downside_up

IUMA.com - http://artists.iuma.com/IUMA/Bands/Downside_Up/

SoundClick.com - http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/downsideup.htm

• Members

Pretty nice, commercial potential songs...'cept your drummer sucks. He has no kick drum control. Sounds like he doesnt even know it. Singers voice is nice. Obviously the producion quality leaves a little to be desired but you're tuneful and you know all the rockisms. See you in rolling stone with your new drummer.

• Members

It's hard to tell with the recordings.....how did you record these songs? I'm going to have to agree about the drummer, he definitely has timing issues.......it sounds like you have some potential, particularly since you have a "popular" sound, but then again, that also means there are hundreds of bands following the same trends......get into a studio and play to a click track!! With a good recording and tightened timing you would sound 10,000 times better........Good luck!

• Members

The drummer is the priority, big time. Production sound is not the best but that's not a big deal right now. Get the drummer to practice with a metronome 8 hours/day for a couple of years and you'll be there ;-)

Nice song otherwise (What Would I..)

• Members

I'd like to echo what's been said.... you have a solid sound and very good vocalist style. The songs are well written, and if you get behind your promotion strongly I think you have great potential for success.

However, that kick drum on Open Up was downright awful. I think your drummer was going for a snazzy beat (why else would he keep it up) but it was flat out distracting and did not sit in the mix well. I also think the kick sound resembled a spoon on a cereal box, which did not help the effect. More professional recording would help with that. Maybe have your drummer talk with the folks on the drumming forum about "over playing."

I wish you all the best, and I think the other songs show the drummer is a solid enough player, who just needs to focus on less syncopated use of the kick. If he is stubborn however, I feel that he might hold your band back. Keep that in mind.

Good luck.

• Members

Well, I really do appreciate all of your comments, even though I am the drummer. LOL.

No, really... This is what I've needed to hear. Everyone else around our band and even the guys in the band just think I'm an amazing drummer because everyone else around our area sucks. I know I do have some skills but I know I've got things to work on also. I think because most everyone else I've tried to get info from doesn't know music that well, they are just focused on the songs overall and don't notice the underlying stuff like some of you guys in here would.

I really don't have a chance to practice all that much except with my band, but I think I was looking to hear these comments so I would force myself to work on things more.

Anyone else's comments would still be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

• Members

Theres a little device called a "Beat Bug" that may help. It attaches to the snare and tells you how fast you are going, kinda like a speedometer. If you get off more than about 3 bpm its noticeable. This helped our drummer a whole lot with his timing. ESPECIALLY when he was practicing by himself with no one to keep him from swaying.

• Members

If you guys have one available, try creating simple beats (or just hi-hat) on a drum machine and play your songs along with it in practice.......my band plays along with sequencers and drum machines as a part of our sound....it improves everyone's timing and really keeps things tight.....I don't know if sequencers and such work within your band's vision, but it sure would help to do that in practice......

Archived