I want to do trance music what do I need?

Hawk44

• Members

Thanks evan_02,

I am going to download the demo and check it out. Do you have experience with this product? i have worked with software before and found most of it to be such a hasel......I like to be able to hit switches and turn knobs.......I just want to know if this is the best place to start?

While I have you I also wanted to get some info on DJ equipment.

I have been told to get Technics 1200s and Pioneer DJX600 but I am new to this, just starting out and really don't want to drop 2grand on equipment. What is good to start with. I do not plan to gig out......I am a beginner. This is for my own pleasure at home. I noticed that some people like vinyl and some like cds. Which is better to begin with and most affordable. If you could recommend some equipment for the budget minded that is still of decent quality, I would appreciate it.

Thanks

hawk

• Members

Keep in mind: you are kind of asking about 2 different things - Producing, and Spinning or DJ'ing. Basically Reason is for the producing and the 1200's are for the spinning. This can be complicated for a beginner to understand since many DJ's produce as well as spin, and much of the general public thinks that Trance DJ's like Oakenfold actually make the music that they spin, or that they are even making it live on stage.

If you're just starting and want to find out if you're into it or not, you don't have to drop a lot of money.

A) get 1 cheap turntable, anything with a the ability to adjust pitch. You can maybe find one of these for $50 or less. Also needed is a slip mat (felt, not rubber!). If the turntable does not come with one, one would cost around $10. Make sure the needle is decent, if its all bent and {censored}ty it will wreck your records. You can pick up a new DJ cartridge for around $20 - just make sure it is designed for DJ use.

B) buy a mix CD: preferably not Oakenfold :rolleyes:. Get a Global Underground CD by John Digweed, Sasha, Yo{censored}oshi - basically anybody but these ones are good

C) A crossfader is not 100% necessary, since you can just use a stereo for the turntable and a boombox or another stereo for the CD. You can simulate using a crossfader by just turning one volume up and one volume down. Headphones are also good but not 100% necessary to get started. However if you can find a DJ mixer for under $50 you might want to get one. Go used - otherwise you can even get one at Radio Shack.

D) Go to a record store in your area that sells dance music. You should be able to listen to the records before you buy them. If there is no store, go to www.satelliterecords.com. Listen to the records on realplayer, and find some you like. Buy at least 2 records - get something you like, but keep in mind it will be easier to mix if it sounds similair to the music on your Mix CD. For a bargain, get something with a few tracks on it - that way you will have more tracks at varying speeds to mix in.

E) Now you have all the equipment.

Play the mix CD on your boombox, and practice lining up the beats of the turntable to those of the CD.

Now this is the tough part, so we can elaborate on it further if you want to get into it.

The point is that this setup will get you practicing the most important part of DJing for $70-$140 or less. If it turns out that you don't like doing this, its not too much money burnt. It's important to keep in mind that any fun that you have while doing this will be multiplied by 100 when you step up to a real set of decks.

• Members

if you like to turn knobs and switches, you'll do fine with reason. it's a bit hard to learn, but there is documentation on the site. if you can get a cheap midi keyboard, it'll be easier to put melodies in the program.

about decks-i am not a dj, i don't own decks either, i've looked into them and have been told that all the cheap $400 starter sets are {censored}. find someone who has some decks you can {censored} around on and buy some records-if you like it, save up and buy some, if not-you only lose the record money.

whats cool about reason if you can use it to sample and do remixes too.

Dib432-i didn't know yo{censored}oshi had a GU;)

Archived