making a good quality sounding mix cd

cakewalk

• Members

Hi,

I am hoping someone can help me out with this. I have Powerbook G4. I am running a Usb m audio Quattro into peak 3.0.

My version of peak only records at 16 bit 64 kHz. Of course later I have to convert to 44 kHz to burn it on disk.

Anyways I have made several recordings and notice that sound is not as clean as I want it. The thing that gets to me is there is a few hisses and clicks. The sound is a bit hard rather then warm and crisp as I want it. Can anyone recommend any better techniques or plug ins for better quality sound. I would appreciate any help.

Peter

• Members

I am NOT an authority on this.. I don't own any 'real' production equipment.. But here's what I've learned through doing what I do.. For reference, all I do is run my mixer into my computer and record the set in sound forge.

For the first few mixes I burned for buddies and such, the sound was much like you described.. kinda cold, lacking that certain something.. I could make it sound a little better with some basic EQ plugins and adding a little reverb..

Since then I've upgraded machines once or twice, and sound forge has a new version that only takes about half as much time to edit as it used to, so I've been able to experiment a lot more.. Whether it helps you or not, ever since I started running a plugin for Deep Compression, the mixes have been sounding 10 times better.

Those are my reccomendations.. basic EQ tweaks, a little reverb (for that warmth you describe), and deep compression. Another thing I've toyed with, is a studio trick I learned as a rock musician.. Unless you're running in TRUE stereo, you might consider mixing down to mono, then converting that to stereo. (same sound coming through both sides.) It will often sound much fuller than an unmodified stereo recording.

You probably already knew all of this, but it's what I know, and like I said, I'm not a studio guy. ;)

• Members

Thanks for the info however i'm not using soundforge anymore. I still have it on my pc. I'm running everything into peak 3.0 which is very similar.

Is there a version of deep compression for mac or a plug in similar.

Just curious what version of sound forge are you using?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Pete

Archived