Need to upgrade snare strainer wire and cords?

summit111

• Members

My Brothers,

I want to upgrade my strainer wires on my 13" piccolo (for dance music) and 14" Yamaha snare (for jazz). What do you use?

And, what is the best strap material to attach the wire to the throw off and butt?

Thanks....

• Members

Unless it's something like a 40-strand vs a 20-strand wire set, I can't hear a difference between brands. Cord snares sound warmer and dryer (and prettier, if that makes sense) to me than the wire coils, though.

I suggest a nylon strap instead of a cord to attach the wires to the butt plate and strainer. With a strap, you know you have even tension side-to-side. If you're using a cord, you may have one side tighter than the other, since we are humans and prone to inconsistencies.

• Members

My Brothers,

I was on the computer reading this forum, and I mentioned the idea about the grograin ribbon. Wife looks at me puzzled, disappeared into the spare bedroom, and produced a roll of that ribbon. "Oh, is this the stuff you need for that thingie on your snare drum? I use this when I sew our Mardi Gras costumes!" It was 5/8" black grograin ribbon. Can you believe it?

Well, I'll be damned! From Mardi Gras costumes to snare drums! Only in New Orleans!

• Members

My Brothers,

I was on the computer reading this forum, and I mentioned the idea about the grograin ribbon. Wife looks at me puzzled, disappeared into the spare bedroom, and produced a roll of that ribbon. "Oh, is this the stuff you need for that thingie on your snare drum? I use this when I sew our Mardi Gras costumes!" It was 5/8" black grograin ribbon. Can you believ

Well, I'll be damned! From Mardi Gras costumes to snare drums! Only in New Orleans!

somebody throw some beads

Archived