Just Discovered "Bonzo's Montreux"

skinthrasher

• Members

Just recently found Zepp's CODA in the bargain bin at Wal-Mart. Don't know why I have never had this in my collection.

Although I would not consider it on par with everything else they have put out anything from those guys is worthy of a listen. I was curious as to what most guys opinions were regarding "Bonzo's Montreux"

I never knew there was another solo on record other than "Moby Dick"

What's with all of the freaky sounding stuff on there? I've never heard sounds like that from Bonham.

Definately on my list of grooves to attempt!

Peace!

• Members

I just found out about it last summer. My brother asked me what I thought about it. I didn't know what he was talking about. So I looked it up. I think it is very cool. From what I understand the freaky sounding stuff was over dubbed in by Jimmy Page with some synthesizers or something.

I love the track on there "I Wanna Crawl". I remember where I was and what I was doing when I heard it for the first time.

• Members

Although I would not consider it on par with everything else they have put out...

Really? We're Gonna Groove, Ozone Baby, Darlene...

Just ridiculously hot, unique tracks; so faithful to the style, and so less worn than all the staples.

Bonzo's Montreux is interesting the first 2 or 3 times, but in the end doesn't amount to much more than recreational noisemaking; albeit made by one of the best noisemakers ever to make noise.

Give the rest of it a few more listens. It'll grow on ya!

• Members

I always enjoyed Montreaux!! It captured a powerful sense of "moving", IMO.

Contrast that with alot of "drum solos" that are about as powerful and or evocative as the guys that used to appear on Carson making "music" with the farty sounds created by rubbing their palms together.

Case in point:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4nqElbslOY&list=UU-a5AyT4qcVtf1QRGx8sq1Q&index=5&feature=plcp

:facepalm:

Archived