What is a manger's job?

Weirdocat

• Members

I have started in a new band, the "manager" is the guitarist/singer's fiance. So far, he includes himself in all aspects in the most uncomfortable way; be it pratice, recording, or arranging gigs. What he says, goes, he wants an all female rock band and promotes our band as something it is not. I am unhappy with the way things are going, but am not prepeared to say anything until I've researched a little bit more!

First question, what is a manager's job? Do they get gigs and promotion or do they involve themsevles in the rehearsal process?

Secondly, are we allowed to demand to be paid from the first gig onwards (not door money, being paid to play!), regardless of our standard?

Thirdly, should I join a new band?!!

cheers!

• Members

I must echo the statement. A band member's fiance as manager is very, very bad. Unless they just so happen to be a big time manager, which I am assuming is not the case.

The job of a manager is quite varied. It is part baby sitter, overseeing tour arrangements or at least making the initial contact (a tour manager works out tour arrangements), contacting labels, promoters, agents. Basically overseeing the business aspects of the band and helping to further the band's career.

If you are not shopping original material or if you are not signed to a label - you do not need a manager.

An agent is someone who books gigs. You can book your own but sometimes if you get hooked up with a good agency they can provide you with pretty steady work.

If you're the new member and you feel uncomfortable already, that is a clear sign to leave. Either eliminate the manager (if possible) or find a new band is my advice.

• Members

Run!

The implications of this arrangement are enormous. Decisions will be made not for the good of the band but for the good of this "manager's" girlfriend and himself, in most cases to ensure he remains in her knickers. Why would you want your career in music to revolve around your bandmate's boyfriend's penis? Generally, a manager works for the band, not the other way around, unless he's paying everyone, and then he's not the manager but a producer. And what do you think will happen to the band once the manager and his girlfriend have a spat? The potential for ongoing drama is fun to consider for it's entertainment value, but only if you're on the outside looking in. I see by your location you're in London, which is not exactly Frostbite Falls, Minnesota. Surely there are loads of other bands to consider. I'd get out today, because life is too short to waste time.

Archived