Recommend me a cajon for a worship group

liko

• Members

I've been asked by my pastor to send out some feelers in the congregation to put together a praise team. One of the challenges inherent in this task is bringing modern percussion into our sanctuary. This is a tricky challenge to say the least; this particular sanctuary is small, with a lot of hard surfaces giving the space a ridiculous reverb time. There's no way a traditional full acoustic rock kit is going to be useable.

I had thought that E-drums would be the only way (and those have their own problems, not the least of which is the $4000 price tag for a decent V-drum kit), but while browsing through GC the other day I overheard a conversation between a rep and another customer in apparently much the same situation, and the answer the GC rep suggested was a cajon. I'd heard the name, but never seen or heard the instrument and put the name with the image; basically a wooden box, often doubling as a stool, with internal components like snares or tambourine that allow the performer to produce a wide variety of sounds by hitting all over the instrument.

I'm intrigued; this kind of "drum kit in a box" might be the perfect thing to downsize the percussion requirements of this new group to a relatively inexpensive ($100-$400, about a tenth the price of the e-drum kits we'd be looking at) and portable unit, that would produce a present but not overpowering sound. It would certainly do as a temporary solution while the group gains popularity and a "critical mass" that would allow the church to ask for additional equipment for this group, including e-drums.

However, I know next to nothing about them. I guess what I'm looking for is a traditional box snare or string cajon, giving the drummer basic kick/tom/snare sounds, to which we can add separate tools like sand shaker or stand-mount tambourine. As far as brands, I recognize Pearl of course, but Meinl seems to be a bigger name for these, and I have no experience with the brand AFAIK. For those of you more experienced with these, am I barking up the right tree, and what specific models might you recommend for something approaching an acoustic-rock CCW sound?

Archived