Going to Nashville New Music Conference, need advice.

jvano

• Members

I am going to be attending the Nashville New Music Conference this weekend. This will be my first time attending a music industry conference such as this. My band won't be showcasing. Our primary goals are just to gain valuable knowledge and meet valuable contacts.

I am looking for advice from anyone who has attended this conference or others like it.

How can I best take advantage of the conference? Any DOs or DON"Ts that you would share? What should I take with me? How can I meet valuable contacts?

• Members

Hey jvano,

I've never been to the Nashville NMC, but I did go to Atlanis in Atlanta a few years ago. My advice would be to see as many bands as possible and attend as many panels as possible. Just take in what kind of bands get into these things and what level their at.

also, when my band tried to hand out demos, most people refused or told us they wouldn't listen to it. Instead of Cds I would recommend handing out business cards, its easier to network with and people are more likely going to take them...I mean really what guy wants to carry around an armful of cds all night?

Also, take some press packs..you never know.

When you see bands play, try to meet them afterwards and talk to the bar staff at the club as well to get the name of the booker.

Also, if you get a chance, my friends, Capital are playing, try to catch them. :D

Archived