Share "guerilla marketing" strategies...

Nza

• Members

I was wondering what kind of stuff some of y'all do to try to create a "buzz" around your band, aside from just gigging and gigging and more gigging.

One thing my band does is, before we play in a new town, about 2 weeks before we play, we wander (often drunkenly) around town with about a thousand or so stickers with our band's name and our website's name on them, and put them on whatever we can think of...telephone polls, trash cans, phone booths, anything that's public that people might happen to be looking at. We generally do this within walking distance of the venue, as well as on any college campuses in the town.

So, uh, what kinda wacky stuff have you all done to get your stuff out there?

• Members

Best thing I've found is the 'net. Yep.

We have a mailing list, and the only thing we ask is for people's email address. Don't even bother with postal mail anymore, it's over. We also have a website. They work best in concert with each other.

First, we announce the show by email to the list, and put a link in each email to the web. That way, if people like us, not only do they get notified that we're playing, but they can also keep up with us if they're so inclined without us constantly pestering them. Believe me, email + web works SO much more effectively than a traditional mailing list.

Other than that, I'm still looking for new ideas.

Archived