can i use this name?

Puta

• Members

back again! :)

for my future music company, i was thinking of the names 'Subzero records' or 'knock out records', but they have been taken... can i then use a name like 'Subzero crew'? (i don't think i'll be starting a record company any time soon anyway! :) )

there is some software desiger crew named that way, but they are not really in the same business...

• Members

I've read your post somewhere else before -- I would think you would want to do something totally original. As an artist, I want everything I do to be original, my band name, my promotion company, song titles, album names, etc. Drives me nuts if I see it somewhere else after the fact. But that's the point -- after the fact. You know your names are used by other businesses, and if that's the case, why go for it. Means it might be cliche.

We are a metal band and wrote a song that we later found out had the same title as a Celine Dion song. We about {censored} ourselves and then immediately changed it. Partly becuase it was by Celine who makes me ill, but also because the name was already used and known by a large segment of the public and I did not want to be associated with that!

Metallica is a good case in point here -- they don't let anything be named "Metallica", they are protecting their brand identity. Metallica alloy wheels, furniture, and makeup have all had to pull the names of the products. In the case of makeup, it was just a color name.

When you create a business or entity, you create a brand. Even if it is in another, unrelated industry, if the name is known, people will think of the other company. Example -- if you decide to name your company Aunt Jehmima Records, people will still think pancakes and that's not what you want, plus they will sue you for infringing on their trademark most likely. They might not be in the right, but could you afford to defend it? Probably not...

• Members

ditto. I have friends who had a blues/R&B band, started in 1964 by the guitar player, called King Biscuit. Over the years, he used the name for his various bands. In 1999 they put out a CD, and within 6 months recieved a letter in the mail from some New York attorney's office about being sued for trademark infringement by the King Biscuit Flour Hour, even though they had not bought the rights to the name until 1973. My friend never bought the rights or filed the name as a trademark, and so a longtime regional musical institution had to change their name. And once they did, their fortunes did, too, barely ekeing out any gigs much less crowds, because no one knows them by their new name. And now they are no more. Seems people just couldn't accept them by their new name.

• Members

thanx. you guys are probably right!

too bad though. thought about the names first and then went searching on the internet to see if they already existed...

thought i might call myself mister Freeze (since i am so kool :cool: ), and the label/crew Subzero... matches nicely! :)

i'll try and think of something else...

btw since i am going to make mostly hiphop/r&b/soul/drum and bass, a cliche name shouldn't really be a bad thing :D

Archived