Vanity Publishing

ddota

• Members

I've spent the last couple of days looking for marketing ideas on the web. I note that the likes of Taxi, Noma, Tonos and others ask for money up front from the artist or songwriter.

When I talk to long time industry professionals they suggest this is a big no-no... the model should be.... 'artist/writer makes creative commitment, agent/publisher make the financial commitment'.

I'm looking for someone to play devils advocate here. Does paying for help with aparantly no commitment from these web site based companies play any part in an artists business strategy?

Andy

• Members

I agree-

just go into every deal with your eyes wide open.

Read the fine print-

Have realistic expectations.

From what I understand, these are "services" to get your material looked at, heard, or otherwise posted to the public or other "inside tracks" we may not have access to-

I don't know if these things work or not-but don't send off a big check and a {censored}ty little basement demo tape and then complain that you were robbed because you didn't get signed. The best way to get noticed is to build up a catalog of material or performances so that when you DO finally sign up with a service like this, you have something to market-

If you are a songwriter, hire people to make killer demos of your material-It will be better to send off a nice CD of 3 killer songs, professionally produced and ready for listening (on he web or in the car) Keep all of your lyrics typed up nicely with chord charts etc... make nice "packages" of CD's lyric sheets, information, etc...

In other words, get your own act together and then decide whether a service can further your goals.

Peace,

Bryan

Archived