People who can really play.

miand

• Members

OK. I'm posting this here 'cause it's my favorite forum.

I live in Seattle. I've been searching for a band for quite some time now and while I have come across some great players - well, the ones that have been really good just don't play the style that I do. Some prefer to play jazz, some are rock - but not modern rock, etc.

1.) Hopefully some of you can understand this: I need people that can hear a 'drop-c' riff and know what to do with it. I need players that hear songs from a riff instead of just wanting to be loud and playing something that sounds 'cool'! My drummer's cousin sat in with me one day on the drums and he's 19 (I'm 25) and I fed him riff after riff and at the end of an hour we had played at least five complete songs. There wasn't anything special about what I was playing and most of it was made up right then and there - but the drummer could hear when it was time to change, whether or not I had signalled him by my playing. We're talking verse, chorus, verse, bridge type stuff. Getting people together who can hear songs as while you are playing them, they've already been finished, mastered and pumped back into the room via your CD player.

2.) I was reading the other day about a certain band that was signed to a development deal. This band is now on MTV. Well - in the development process the rhythm guitarist (who had been with the band for the past five years) was replaced by someone the record company saw fit to fill his shoes. The band was then signed to a 'production' deal, so to speak.

I've placed many an ad in the papers here and have kept an open mind and met with over 300 musicians looking for the right mix. Is there a better way?

How do I get hooked up with a record label and make them aware of my talent? Is there a professional musician placement service that I can use to expedite the process of finding people? You'd really be suprised how difficult it is to find people that can understand how to start a song and a show with the intensity and material appropriate that would go along with the stage trasforming from dark to bright light whilst the club erupts.

Any thoughts?

Mike.

Archived