bio's

feasteria

• Members

Originally posted by feasteria

my band is currently attempting to get some gigs, however we are struggling with the writting of a bio. none of us have much experience at all and we have no idea what to put in it. any suggestions/tips/anything?

Give the name of your band, your style, your influences, how long you've been playing together, albums you've recorded, etc.

Then list each member, their role in the band, their individual influences, previous bands they've been in, etc.

Basically you want to let people know who you are and what you do.

• Members

Originally posted by feasteria

my band is currently attempting to get some gigs, however we are struggling with the writting of a bio. none of us have much experience at all and we have no idea what to put in it. any suggestions/tips/anything?

If you're a new band, keep it short. No one needs to know where you went to middle school. Rule of thumb is the longer you've been around and the more area you begin to cover, the more you need to reveal about yourself, because you'll begin to get more press coverage in new markets and entertainment writers are notoriously lazy, so the more info you can feed them, the longer article they'll write. Half the time articles I get in papers are almost verbatim copies of my press kit. In any event, include your influences, how long you've been playing, any noteworthy bands you've played in, major shows you've opened for or music awards you've gotten, your CD(s), and something quirky about each member to show a sense of humor ("Jared is the drummer par excellence for the band, but his real passion is frisbee golf" ). Don't know why, but people are far less put off by bands that don't present themselves as taking themselves too seriously, and are a lot more apt to want to like you before they've seen you. If they think you're pompous, forget it, you've already lost.

• Members

The truth is you DO need a bio, but keep in mind that nobody will read it. I mean, try to imagine: your job is to book acts for a club. You get dozens of packages a day, phone calls, faxes, flyers of all sorts. As you go through packages, the first thing you do is take everything out of the enveloppe and probably lay your eyes on a picture. Then you might play the CD. If you really DO like it, you might check out the pic again, and read a little of the bio. I know I would only read a few lines, and be probably bored very fast.

What bands do you REALLY like? Have you been to their web site, and if yes, have you read their bio?

Keep it short and exciting.

• Members

I hate writing bios. :mad:

I like to get a friend/fan to write it for us. Especially if they're a die-hard fan, cause they'll be way flattering.

Just try to keep it to a point, and get important stuff in there...where y'all are from, how long y'all have been together, stuff you've done.

Most importantly, make sure the reader of the bio is getting the message that "we have something great to offer you", kinda like a business proposal, even though what you are actually presenting is your music.

• Members

One concept that ive heard of that i personally liked was the Playboy Form.

You know the centerfold fact sheet that shows basic bio stuff? The likes and dislikes thing?

...sure you do! :D

Well, try the same thing on your site or in your promo.

GOOD PIC SHOWING SOME PERSONALITY

Name

Nickname

Birthplace

Musical taists

Favorite bands

Bands played in

Turn-ons

Turn-offs

Favorite comic book

Favorite cartoon character

# of STD's

Felony record

• Members

Originally posted by StratKat

# of STD's

stratkat, I'm not a native english speaker, so sorry for the dumb question...

What does STD mean?

I went to acronymfinder.com, ans this is what they told me:

Acronym Definition @Amazon.com

STD Doctor(ate) of Sacred Theology (degree)

STD Sexually Transmitted Disease

STD Standard

STD Safely Tolerated Dose

STD Salinity Temperature Depth

STD Santo Domingo, Venezuela - Mayor Humberto Vivas Guerrero (Airport Code)

STD Saves the Day

STD Saves the Day (band)

STD Scheduled Time of Departure

STD Second To Die (life insurance)

STD Selective Transmit Diversity

STD Set Direction Flag

STD Severe Tire Damage (band)

STD Short Term Disability

STD Sigma Tau Delta (Sorority and English Honors Society)

STD Simplified Trellis Decoder

STD Single-Trial Decoding

STD Singly-Testable Dependent

STD Small Target Detection

STD Society for Theological Discussion

Archived