Help selecting turn tables

Windy_City_Hawk

• Members

I produce Hip-Hop music, and need a turn table for sampling purposes. I would like a nice DJ style table with a replacable needle for around $250. I have been looking, but I do not know the terminology; like do I want a belt drive or direct drive? Would one of those DJ package deals be good enough? Please note that I do not want to do parties and such, but would be interested in learning to mix and scratch.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks.

• Members

direct drive. for your needs, expect to pay at least $350, and that's if you get a lucky deal.

there are several threads in this forum, RECENT threads at that where people are asking the same general question, so there are LOTS of answers for you to read through already.

the problem with cheap turntables is you have very little actual CONTROL over what the record is going to do once you try to manipulate it. For sampling purposes, you'll need precision. It goes without saying that you'll need good decks to scratch.

Look for a used technics 1200 or 1210, or otherwise spend the extra dough and buy a new one, or a vestax pdt-2000. I also hear the numark ttx-1 is very good, but I've never used one, so I don't really know.

If you were just trying to DJ, I'd say get whatever the {censored} WORKS and get started, but for hip hop and production work, you're going to need the proper tool, so do it right.

• Members

usually in the 4-500 range.

the word is that the vestax pdt-2000 is the best scratch turntable out there, quite literally SKIP PROOF (within reason, of course)..... there's some info at www.turntablelab.com that you might want to check out..

your best bet is to take a record or two to a local store and try out a technics and a vestax, maybe the new numark, and see which one will have the features to best suit your own personal needs. The thing about music is, we're all reaching for totally different goals, even within the same genres, so what works for us might not work for you, and vice-versa.

• Members

Get a Technics 1200. Guitar Center has them for $399 standard price now which is a good deal. It's the industry standard and you can't go wrong with it. I use Shure M447 needles with mine and they are great. It's the same needle that the Invisibl Skratch Picklz use.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

All I got to say is do half step. There is no point on investing your money in cheap {censored}. I had to piece my equipment togther one step at a time it took two years for me to get the whole system but that was because I was in high school and had a car note and didn't work that much. But I had a cd player and learned how to blend from that. Then I got a pair of {censored}yy numarks. then I had to upgrade to a pair of 1200's

Archived