labels finding distributors???

scubyfan

• Members

hi there, guys

i am interested in becoming a new-age/dancey type label for up and coming bands, especially for the latter. anyhow, how can i find and get distributors to carry my label's material? they really dont care if something sells or not, right, cause youre paying them either way? i am talking about major distributors, so my product will end up in virgin, tower, cd now, amazon, etc, not the small plans some sites (amazon, cdbaby) have for small bands.

thanks, all help will be appreciated. also, please try to stay within my question, and not telling me how hard it will be to start a label and that i shouldnt bother with it. heheh

• Members

Originally posted by scubyfan

hi there, guys

i am interested in becoming a new-age/dancey type label for up and coming bands, especially for the latter. anyhow, how can i find and get distributors to carry my label's material? they really dont care if something sells or not, right, cause youre paying them either way? i am talking about major distributors, so my product will end up in virgin, tower, cd now, amazon, etc, not the small plans some sites (amazon, cdbaby) have for small bands.

thanks, all help will be appreciated. also, please try to stay within my question, and not telling me how hard it will be to start a label and that i shouldnt bother with it. heheh

I would start on a smaller scale - with either a local or a regional distributor - and work your way up. National distributors probably won't bother making a deal until they know you're actually going to move product.

However, local distributors can help you get started. As you get bigger, chances are national/international distributors will come to you.

• Members

you didnt read my thing, did you? i asked about MAJOR distributors, not "local" places. where i live, the eurodance and new age scene is nonexistant. i dont think distributors will shun a product, because you frigging paying them to carry your product. i was asking how to FIND and make a contract with the distributors...

anyone else?

• Members

You've got it backwards. The distributor pays you for the product then resells it at a profit through his network of stores, catalogs and other connections. If the distributor doesn't think he can move your product he won't purchase it from you.

As far as contacting major distributors and having them be receptive to your product could be very difficult since they are linked up very closely with major labels and it's next to impossible for an unproven, start up label to get anywhere with them.

• Members

you didnt read my thing, did you? i asked about MAJOR distributors, not "local" places. where i live, the eurodance and new age scene is nonexistant. i dont think distributors will shun a product, because you frigging paying them to carry your product. i was asking how to FIND and make a contract with the distributors...

anyone else?

I read exactly what you wrote, you just don't seem to understand the nature of the beast. The fact that you don't know how distribution deals work to begin with is a pretty clear indicator that you're nowhere near ready to deal with the majors in the first place.

The simple explanation (which is how it works without all the legal jargon) of the way a distribution deal works is that you sign a contract with a distribution company. They pay you a sum of money for the exclusive rights to distribute your product in a specified area (local, regional, national, or international depending on the contract) for a specified amount of time.

The distribution company makes its money by selling the albums for you, which is why they would also make the most profit off of the sales (your label's profits from the sales would also be in the contract).

Now the reality as far as your case is concerned.

Major distributors aren't likely to deal with small, start up outfits simply because they have no reason to believe that they'll be able to sell enough of your albums to make it worth their while. You need to build up to a certain level to show a major distributor that you're worth dealing with.

Let me stress this important point yet again : If you aren't going to sell albums, they won't bother, whether you know how to contact them or not. Your cavalier attitude toward sales won't impress anyone who would possibly want to do business with you. Your know-it-all-ism probably won't impress anyone else who might help you either.

Now, if you still think a distribution deal is what your fledgling label needs, try hooking up with an established indie label in the same genre and getting a distribution deal through them. This is how I got distribution for my own indie hardcore/industrial label I had a few years ago.

The upside is that smaller labels are willing to take a chance and help you out. The downsides are that 1) You'll make little if anything from sales, and 2) If the label goes belly up, you're screwed unless you have a good contract. That's what happened to my old label. It's a risk you take.

Your best bet would be to find a European label with ties to the US market. A web search should net you the websites of smaller labels that you should contact. If they pick you up, and you start to have decent sales from your label's artists, chances are that the bigger distribution companies will come to you.

That's the way the business works.

• Members

oh in that case, i apologize rob...

i always thought the labels paid them something to carry the items...

thanks for correcting me though...i'll scrap the idea of a label :-(

Sorry to sound harsh in my explanation.

Hope isn't lost if you really want to do this. Small labels that have their own distribution are usually on the lookout for new acts, and there's always at least one that's willing to partner up with a new or smaller label, especially if it can open a new market.

While the money won't be great, and no reason to quit your day job, it IS an inroads to the big time if you're willing to work at it.

Archived